* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
       [not found] <20180502121545.GU8577@tucnak>
@ 2018-05-02 16:37 ` Daniel Santos
From: Daniel Santos @ 2018-05-02 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek, Uros Bizjak; +Cc: gcc

Woo hoo!

Looks like I forgot to add the details of -mcall-ms2sysv-xlogues to the
changes (https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/changes.html).  Is it too late to
change that?  At least this only really affects one project (that I'm
aware of).  I've got some improvements to it for GCC 9 that I'll get
together in the next few weeks.  I'll email the Wine list later today.

Daniel

* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-02 16:43   ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2018-05-02 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Santos; +Cc: Uros Bizjak, gcc

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 11:38:51AM -0500, Daniel Santos wrote:
> Looks like I forgot to add the details of -mcall-ms2sysv-xlogues to the
> changes (https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/changes.html).  Is it too late to
> change that?  At least this only really affects one project (that I'm
> aware of).  I've got some improvements to it for GCC 9 that I'll get
> together in the next few weeks.  I'll email the Wine list later today.

There is no deadline on gcc-*/changes.html changes, it can be changed
whenever changes for it are acked.  Of course it is always better to
do it before the release if possible.

	Jakub

* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-02 17:21     ` Damian Rouson
From: Damian Rouson @ 2018-05-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek, Daniel Santos; +Cc: gcc, Uros Bizjak

On May 2, 2018 at 9:43:23 AM, Jakub Jelinek (jakub@redhat.com(mailto:jakub@redhat.com)) wrote:

> There is no deadline on gcc-*/changes.html changes, it can be changed
> whenever changes for it are acked. Of course it is always better to
> do it before the release if possible.

Could someone please point me to instructions for how to submit a change to the gfortran changes list?  I’d like to add the following bullet:

* Partial support is provided for the Fortran 2018 teams feature, which enables the formation of hierarchical subsets of images that execute independently of other image subsets.

Damian

* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-02 17:35       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2018-05-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Daniel Santos, gcc, Uros Bizjak

On 2 May 2018 at 18:21, Damian Rouson wrote:
> Could someone please point me to instructions for how to submit a change to the gfortran changes list?

The web pages are hosted in CVS and patches for them are handled like
any other GCC patches:
https://gcc.gnu.org/about.html#cvs

* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-02 18:02       ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2018-05-02 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson, Jakub Jelinek, Daniel Santos; +Cc: gcc, Uros Bizjak

On 05/02/2018 10:21 AM, Damian Rouson wrote:
> Could someone please point me to instructions for how to submit a change to the gfortran changes list?  I’d like to add the following bullet:

See also
https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#webchanges

Jim

* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-04  6:31   ` Janne Blomqvist
From: Janne Blomqvist @ 2018-05-04  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Bert Wesarg <bert.wesarg@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Some code that compiled successfully with older GCC versions might
> require
> > source changes, see http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/porting_to.html for
> > details.
>
> in "Fortran language issues" it reads: "Prior to GCC 7", shouldn't
> that be "Prior to GCC 8" or "Up to GCC 7"?

Yes, indeed it should. Thanks for noticing.

> And can somebody can tell me, whether this Fortran issue effects also
> Fortran code which calls C functions?

If it's a "normal" C function with NULL-terminated strings, then no. If
it's a C function which is designed to follow the Fortran procedure ABI
(where strings are passed as a pointer + a hidden length argument), then
yes.

--
Janne Blomqvist

* Re: GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-04  6:23 ` Bert Wesarg
From: Bert Wesarg @ 2018-05-04  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> Some code that compiled successfully with older GCC versions might require
> source changes, see http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/porting_to.html for
> details.

in "Fortran language issues" it reads: "Prior to GCC 7", shouldn't
that be "Prior to GCC 8" or "Up to GCC 7"?

And can somebody can tell me, whether this Fortran issue effects also
Fortran code which calls C functions?

Thanks.

Best,
Bert

* GCC 8.1 Released
@ 2018-05-02 12:16 Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2018-05-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

We are proud to announce the next, major release of the
GNU Compiler Collection.

Are you tired of your existing compilers?
Want fresh new language features and better optimizations?
Make your day with the new GCC 8.1!

GCC 8.1 is a major release containing substantial new
functionality not available in GCC 7.x or previous GCC releases.

The C++ front-end now has experimental support for some parts of the
upcoming C++2a draft, with the -std=c++2a and -std=gnu++2a options, and the
libstdc++ library has some further C++17 and C++2a draft library features
implemented too.

This releases features significant improvements in the emitted diagnostics,
including improved locations, location ranges and fix-it hints (especially
in the C++ front-end), and various new warnings have been added.

Profile driven optimizations have been significantly improved, on x86
functions are now split into hot and cold regions by default.  The link time
optimizations now have a new way of emitting the DWARF debug information,
which makes LTO optimized code more debuggable.  New loop optimizers have
added and existing improved and some, like -ftree-loop-distribution,
-floop-unroll-and-jam and -floop-interchange have been enabled by default at
-O3.

The AArch64 target now supports the Scalable Vector Extension, which
features vectors with runtime determined number of elements.

Some code that compiled successfully with older GCC versions might require
source changes, see http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/porting_to.html for
details.

See

  https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/changes.html

for more information about changes in GCC 8.1.

This release is available from the FTP servers listed here:

 http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

The release is in gcc/gcc-8.1.0/ subdirectory.

If you encounter difficulties using GCC 8.1, please do not contact me
directly.  Instead, please visit http://gcc.gnu.org for information about
getting help.

Driving a leading free software project such as GNU Compiler Collection
would not be possible without support from its many contributors.
Not to only mention its developers but especially its regular testers
and users which contribute to its high quality.  The list of individuals
is too large to thank individually!

Please consider a donation to the GNU Toolchain Fund to support the
continued development of GCC!