* PPC 64bit library status?
       [not found] <1114776174.14975.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-30 12:55 ` Bill Northcott
From: Bill Northcott @ 2005-04-30 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

For what are probably misguided reasons I am trying to build Apple
style compilers which include gfortran, libffi and libobjc.

This was not a particular problem with the latest apple-ppc-branch
sources (apple-ppc-5013) until I got MacOS X 10.4 Tiger yesterday.

On Darwin8/MacOS X 10.4 the Apple gcc build includes both 32 and 64
bit versions of libgcc, libiberty and libstdc++.

When I alter the build_gcc script and the configure files to build
gfortran, libffi and libobjc, the build tries to make 64 bit versions
of libgfortran, libgfortranbegin, libffi and libobjc-gnu.

There are a number of problems:
1.  Since I am using a PPC7455 based computer 64bit executables won't
run and the 64 bit libraries are effectively cross compilations.  So
the configure scripts need the same APPLE LOCAL mods used in libstdc+
+ to avoid testing in the configure script whether the compiler can
build executables.  (with the -m64 flag the executables are built but
they won't run).
This would not be an issue on a PPC970(G5)  cpu.
2. libgfortran.h line 63 defines int8_t.  This is already defined in /
usr/lib/ppc/types.h.  So I think the libgfortran.h define needs to be
conditional on _INT8_H.

Even if the libraries build, will libffi or libobjc work on 64 bit
PPC????  Since I don't have access to a 64 bit PPC machine I cannot
test this.

There is an even murkier question about what happens with Darwin 8 on
x86.

Bill Northcott

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-04-30 17:15   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-04-30 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Northcott; +Cc: gcc

Bill Northcott <w.northcott@unsw.edu.au> writes:

> Even if the libraries build, will libffi or libobjc work on 64 bit
> PPC????  Since I don't have access to a 64 bit PPC machine I cannot
> test this.

They appear to work fine on powerpc64-linux.

Andreas.

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-04-30 17:31     ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2005-04-30 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: gcc, Bill Northcott

On Apr 30, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Bill Northcott <w.northcott@unsw.edu.au> writes:
>
>> Even if the libraries build, will libffi or libobjc work on 64 bit
>> PPC????  Since I don't have access to a 64 bit PPC machine I cannot
>> test this.
>
> They appear to work fine on powerpc64-linux.

He is talking about ppc64-darwin which has almost no support right
now.

There was some talk about this earlier this year and then the support
for building the 64bit libraries on darwin was turned off for both the
4.0.0 release and on the mainline.

Note why again are you using Apple's branch.  It does not get all fixes
which the 4.0 release branch will get.

-- Pinski

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-05-01  2:51       ` Bill Northcott
From: Bill Northcott @ 2005-05-01  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, gcc

On 01/05/2005, at 1:11 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
>>> Even if the libraries build, will libffi or libobjc work on 64 bit
>>> PPC????  Since I don't have access to a 64 bit PPC machine I cannot
>>> test this.
>>>
> There was some talk about this earlier this year and then the support
> for building the 64bit libraries on darwin was turned off for both the
> 4.0.0 release and on the mainline.

That much was sort of obvious.  However, if they are enabled in the
build, libobjc and libgfortran do build.  Are they likely to be
functional?

Libffi does not build using the -m64 flag on the compiler.

> Note why again are you using Apple's branch.  It does not get all
> fixes
> which the 4.0 release branch will get.

Basically my logic is fairly simple.  If I use Apple's OS, I feel
happier using their compiler.  While that creates some problems, it
avoids others like the restFP,savFP issue.

The code I am using was synced to the release gcc-4.0.0 on 20 April.
So it is not that out of date.

Bill Northcott

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-05-01  2:57         ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2005-05-01  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Northcott; +Cc: GCC List

On Apr 30, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> Basically my logic is fairly simple.  If I use Apple's OS, I feel
> happier using their compiler.  While that creates some problems, it
> avoids others like the restFP,savFP issue.

The restFP/saveFP issue has been resolved since
2004-03-31  Andrew Pinski  <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>

         * config/rs6000/t-darwin (LIB2FUNCS_STATIC_EXTRA):
         Add darwin-fpsave.asm, darwin-vecsave.asm,
         and darwin-world.asm.
         (TARGET_LIBGCC2_CFLAGS): Add -Wa,-force_cpusubtype_ALL
         as the asm files contain altivec instructions.
         * config/rs6000/darwin-fpsave.asm: New file.
         * config/rs6000/darwin-vecsave.asm: New file.
         * config/rs6000/darwin-world.asm: New file.

-- Pinski

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-05-03  5:56       ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-05-03  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, gcc, Bill Northcott

On Apr 30, 2005, at 8:11 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> Note why again are you using Apple's branch.  It does not get all
> fixes
> which the 4.0 release branch will get.

It has all that the 4.0.0 release got.  Next time we merge, we'll
pull in all the then current 4.0 release branch fodder.  As we switch
to 4.1 for development, it is likely we will stop picking up 4.0
fixes...

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-05-03  6:04         ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-05-03  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Northcott; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, Andreas Schwab, gcc

On Apr 30, 2005, at 7:51 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:
> However, if they are enabled in the build, libobjc and libgfortran
> do build.  Are they likely to be functional?

I'd hate to guess, seems make check would tell you if they do.  I'd
expect there might be an issue with selecting the right multilib
variant in our branch.  Other than that, I'd kind of hope they would
just work.  Though, things like default to next-runtime isn't going
to work (I don't think) in -m64 land.  -fgnu-runtime should cure that
type of problem.

Let us know how it goes, I'm interested.

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-05-03  6:34   ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-05-03  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Northcott; +Cc: gcc

On Apr 30, 2005, at 5:28 AM, Bill Northcott wrote:
> There are a number of problems:
> 1.  Since I am using a PPC7455 based computer 64bit executables
> won't run and the 64 bit libraries are effectively cross
> compilations.  So the configure scripts need the same APPLE LOCAL
> mods used in libstdc++ to avoid testing in the configure script
> whether the compiler can build executables.  (with the -m64 flag
> the executables are built but they won't run).

Would love to see mainline enhanced to keep track of issues like
this.  Hard problem, few people willing to conquer it.  If you want
to do up patches for our branch, I'd entertain putting them in.

> 2. libgfortran.h line 63 defines int8_t.

Ick!  Sounds like the configure mechanism went haywire.  stdint.h
should be found and included, and that, should define HAVE_STDINT_H
and that should cause it to not be defined.  I wonder if you might
have to have a G5 build system for the configure hair to work as it
is.  The config.log might say more.

Anyway, if you want it to just work, I suspect you'll need to either
pick fortran or -m64.

* Re: PPC 64bit library status?
@ 2005-05-03  8:37     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-05-03  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Bill Northcott, gcc

Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:

>> 2. libgfortran.h line 63 defines int8_t.
>
> Ick!  Sounds like the configure mechanism went haywire.

This can happen when you reconfigure.  See
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-12/msg00874.html> for a possible
patch.

Andreas.