* Git commit "Author: [...] via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>" (was: [gcc r11-5068] Update documentation for spec files)
       [not found] <20201117001536.2429D386EC72@sourceware.org>
@ 2020-11-17  9:26 ` Thomas Schwinge
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2020-11-17  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi!

(As discussed before...), in 2020, email doesn't work anymore the way it
did years ago...  ;-/ (Let's please *not* discuss this here.)

So we're now dealing with emails with "From: [...] via Gcc-patches
<gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>", etc.

... which occasionally then ends up in Git commit author:

On 2020-11-17T00:15:36+0000, Jeff Law via Gcc-cvs <gcc-cvs@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/g:a019766f996f57e53a8d1a9e72033e1e1487a150
>
> commit r11-5068-ga019766f996f57e53a8d1a9e72033e1e1487a150
> Author: Armin Brauns via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>

Should we have a Git commit hook to catch that (and similar variants)?

(This is not to blame Jeff, of course; it's very easy to not notice
that.)

Grüße
 Thomas
-----------------
Mentor Graphics (Deutschland) GmbH, Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München / Germany
Registergericht München HRB 106955, Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Alexander Walter

* Re: Git commit "Author: [...] via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>" (was: [gcc r11-5068] Update documentation for spec files)
  2020-11-17  9:26 ` Git commit "Author: [...] via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>" (was: [gcc r11-5068] Update documentation for spec files) Thomas Schwinge
@ 2020-11-17 13:34   ` Jonathan Wakely
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-11-17 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 09:29, Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> (As discussed before...), in 2020, email doesn't work anymore the way it
> did years ago...  ;-/ (Let's please *not* discuss this here.)
>
> So we're now dealing with emails with "From: [...] via Gcc-patches
> <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>", etc.
>
> ... which occasionally then ends up in Git commit author:
>
> On 2020-11-17T00:15:36+0000, Jeff Law via Gcc-cvs <gcc-cvs@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/g:a019766f996f57e53a8d1a9e72033e1e1487a150
> >
> > commit r11-5068-ga019766f996f57e53a8d1a9e72033e1e1487a150
> > Author: Armin Brauns via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>
>
> Should we have a Git commit hook to catch that (and similar variants)?

Good idea. We should use the tools to help here.

@ 2020-11-17 14:25   ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2020-11-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge, gcc

On 11/17/20 2:26 AM, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Hi!
>
> (As discussed before...), in 2020, email doesn't work anymore the way it
> did years ago...  ;-/ (Let's please *not* discuss this here.)
>
> So we're now dealing with emails with "From: [...] via Gcc-patches
> <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>", etc.
>
> ... which occasionally then ends up in Git commit author:
>
> On 2020-11-17T00:15:36+0000, Jeff Law via Gcc-cvs <gcc-cvs@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/g:a019766f996f57e53a8d1a9e72033e1e1487a150
>>
>> commit r11-5068-ga019766f996f57e53a8d1a9e72033e1e1487a150
>> Author: Armin Brauns via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>
> Should we have a Git commit hook to catch that (and similar variants)?
>

> (This is not to blame Jeff, of course; it's very easy to not notice
> that.)
Yea.  I keep having to remember which header to pull the author from.  I
strongly suspected one or more had slipped through.

jeff

@ 2020-11-17 18:44   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2020-11-17 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020, Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> Should we have a Git commit hook to catch that (and similar variants)?

I've added a check for gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org (or libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
or fortran@gcc.gnu.org) as author email address in our commit_checker hook
(in ~gccadmin/hooks-bin).  (Checking a few specific email addresses seems
a bit simpler than a more general rule of rejecting any @gcc.gnu.org
address that matches that of a mailing list other than
gccadmin@gcc.gnu.org.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Git commit "Author: [...] via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>"
  2020-11-17  9:26 ` Git commit "Author: [...] via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>" (was: [gcc r11-5068] Update documentation for spec files) Thomas Schwinge
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-11-19  9:01   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-11-19  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge; +Cc: gcc

* Thomas Schwinge:

> Should we have a Git commit hook to catch that (and similar variants)?

It's also possible to move to a mailing list host which does not
rewrite the From: header.  The commit hook is better than nothing,
although it's probably a bit tricky—some of use sourceware.org
addresses, and “ via ” could appear in a name.

* Re: Git commit "Author: [...] via Gcc-patches <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>"
@ 2020-11-21 20:19     ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2020-11-21 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: Thomas Schwinge, gcc

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020, Florian Weimer wrote:

> > Should we have a Git commit hook to catch that (and similar variants)?
>
> It's also possible to move to a mailing list host which does not
> rewrite the From: header.  The commit hook is better than nothing,
> although it's probably a bit tricky—some of use sourceware.org
> addresses, and “ via ” could appear in a name.

 I keep wondering what they do for vger.kernel.org mailing lists and the
LKML in particular that we can't to avoid `From:' header rewriting.  Our
patch volume is nothing to theirs, which is probably why we can cope most
of the time (I use my outbox to apply my own patches for example), though
they do partially avoid the issue by relying more on GIT pulls than we do.

  Maciej