* gcc buildbot?
@ 2014-01-06 21:04 Philippe Baril Lecavalier
From: Philippe Baril Lecavalier @ 2014-01-06 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

Is anyone working on an implementation of buildbot <http://buildbot.net/>
for GCC?

I have been experimenting with buildbot lately, and I would be glad to
help in providing it. If there is interest, I could have a prototype and
a detailed proposal ready in a few days. It could serve GCC, binutils
and some important libraries as well.

Cheers,

Philippe Baril Lecavalier

* Re: gcc buildbot?
@ 2014-01-10  9:41 ` Richard Sandiford
From: Richard Sandiford @ 2014-01-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Baril Lecavalier; +Cc: gcc, jbglaw

Hi,

Philippe Baril Lecavalier <pbl.ltx@gmail.com> writes:
> I have been experimenting with buildbot lately, and I would be glad to
> help in providing it. If there is interest, I could have a prototype and
> a detailed proposal ready in a few days. It could serve GCC, binutils
> and some important libraries as well.

Thanks for the offer.  I think the current state is that Jan-Benedict Glaw
has put together a buildbot for testing that binutils, gcc and gdb
build for a wide range of targets:

   http://toolchain.lug-owl.de/buildbot/

which has been very useful for catching target-specific build failures.
AFAIK the bot doesn't (and wasn't supposed to) check for testsuite
regressions, but I could be wrong about that.  There was some discussion
about adding testsuite coverage here:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-08/msg00317.html

I'm not sure how up-to-date that is though.

TBH, as you can probably tell, I'm not really the right person to be
answering your question :-)

Thanks,
Richard

* Re: gcc buildbot?
@ 2014-01-10 13:18   ` Christophe Lyon
From: Christophe Lyon @ 2014-01-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Sandiford, Philippe Baril Lecavalier; +Cc: gcc, jbglaw

On 01/10/14 10:11, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Philippe Baril Lecavalier <pbl.ltx@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have been experimenting with buildbot lately, and I would be glad to
>> help in providing it. If there is interest, I could have a prototype and
>> a detailed proposal ready in a few days. It could serve GCC, binutils
>> and some important libraries as well.
> Thanks for the offer.  I think the current state is that Jan-Benedict Glaw
> has put together a buildbot for testing that binutils, gcc and gdb
> build for a wide range of targets:
>
>     http://toolchain.lug-owl.de/buildbot/
>
> which has been very useful for catching target-specific build failures.
> AFAIK the bot doesn't (and wasn't supposed to) check for testsuite
> regressions, but I could be wrong about that.  There was some discussion
> about adding testsuite coverage here:
>
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-08/msg00317.html

One aspect hasn't been discussed in that thread: I don't think it's possible to run the testsuite for every single commit, since 'make check' takes really a lot of time on some targets.

I have developed a cross-validation environment in which cross-build and cross-validate several ARM and AArch64 combinations. In my case, each build+check job takes about 3h (make -j4, in tmpfs, c, c++ and fortran), and I have to restrict the validation to an "interesting" subset of commits. Running on actual HW would be slower.

But it's definitely worth it :-)

Christophe.