From: Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de>
To: nick <xerofoify@gmail.com>
Cc: GCC Development <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: GSOC Proposal
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 09:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, nick wrote:

> On 2019-03-28 4:59 a.m., Richard Biener wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 6:31 PM nick <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Greetings All,
> >>
> >> I've already done most of the work required for signing up for GSoC
> >> as of last year i.e. reading getting started, being signed up legally
> >> for contributions.
> >>
> >> My only real concern would be the proposal which I started writing here:
> >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BKVeh62IpigsQYf_fJqkdu_js0EeGdKtXInkWZ-DtU0/edit?usp=sharing
> >>
> >> The biography and success section I'm fine with my bigger concern would be the project and roadmap
> >> section. The roadmap is there and I will go into more detail about it in the projects section as
> >> need be. Just wanted to known if the roadmap is detailed enough or can I just write out a few
> >> paragraphs discussing it in the Projects Section.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand either the problem analysis nor the project
> > goal parts.  What
> > shared state with respect to garbage collection are you talking about?
> >
> > Richard.
> >
> I just fixed it. Seems we were discussing RTL itself. I edited it to
> reflect those changes. Let me know if it's unclear or you would actually
> like me to discuss some changes that may occur in the RTL layer itself.
>

> I'm glad to be more exact if that's better but seems your confusion was
> just what layer we were touching.

Let me just throw in some knowledge here.  The issue with RTL
is that we currently can only have a single function in this
intermediate language state since a function in RTL has some
state in global variables that would differ if it were another
function.  We can have multiple functions in GIMPLE intermediate
language state since all such state is in a function-specific
data structure (struct function).  The hard thing about moving
all this "global" state of RTL into the same place is that
there's global state in the various backends (and there's
already a struct funtion 'machine' part for such state, so there's
hope the issue isn't as big as it could be) and that some of
the global state is big and only changes very rarely.
That said, I'm not sure if anybody knows the full details here.

So as far as I understand you'd like to tackle this as project
with the goal to be able to have multiple functions in RTL
state.

That's laudable but IMHO also quite ambitious for a GSoC
project.  It's also an area I am not very familiar with so
I opt out of being a mentor for this project.

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de>
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany;