* Updating "regression hunting" to the Git world (was: [wwwdocs] Adjustments of "regression hunting" instructions to the post-SVN world.)
@ 2020-01-20 11:21 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-01-20 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020, Gerald Pfeifer wrote (on gcc-patches@):
> With Git a clone carries the whole repository, so remove instructions
> on obtaining a local copy of the repository and related instructions
> on SVN usage.

I just updated https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/reghunt.html , mostly by
removing obsolete aspects related to SVN:

   https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-01/msg01121.html

If you have further updates to that page, please go ahead and
simply make them (or let me know).

Also contrib/reghunt appears in need of *quite* some updates.
Or do we want to retire it?

Gerald

* Re: Updating "regression hunting" to the Git world (was: [wwwdocs] Adjustments of "regression hunting" instructions to the post-SVN world.)
  2020-01-20 11:21 Updating "regression hunting" to the Git world (was: [wwwdocs] Adjustments of "regression hunting" instructions to the post-SVN world.) Gerald Pfeifer
@ 2020-01-20 18:50 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-01-20 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 at 13:07, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2020, Gerald Pfeifer wrote (on gcc-patches@):
> > With Git a clone carries the whole repository, so remove instructions
> > on obtaining a local copy of the repository and related instructions
> > on SVN usage.
>
> I just updated https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/reghunt.html , mostly by
> removing obsolete aspects related to SVN:
>
>    https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-01/msg01121.html
>

> If you have further updates to that page, please go ahead and
> simply make them (or let me know).

It still says "The following SVN commands are ..."

> Also contrib/reghunt appears in need of *quite* some updates.
> Or do we want to retire it?

I've never read that web page or looked at contrib/reghunt before, but
most of it can probably be done by 'git bisect' run. The web page
should be rewritten in terms of using git bisect. I can take a stab at
that if nobody else wants to.

It's possible that the various contrib/reghunt/bin/gcc-test-* helper
scripts could still be useful with 'git bisect run' as the building
blocks for a script that checks a given revision.

@ 2020-01-21 13:51   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-01-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> If you have further updates to that page, please go ahead and
>> simply make them (or let me know).
> It still says "The following SVN commands are ..."

Yes, that's another piece I'll tackle today/tomorrow.

>> Also contrib/reghunt appears in need of *quite* some updates.
>> Or do we want to retire it?
> I've never read that web page or looked at contrib/reghunt before,
> but most of it can probably be done by 'git bisect' run. The web page
> should be rewritten in terms of using git bisect. I can take a stab
> at that if nobody else wants to.

That would be great, thank you!

Gerald