* Security actions to mitigate future vulnerabilities
@ 2021-09-28 16:21 Luís Ferreira
From: Luís Ferreira @ 2021-09-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

During my fuzzing test with libfuzzer I found out that GCC is not part
of OSS-Fuzz project. Would be cool to discuss here a bit more about
fuzzing GCC codebase in order to mitigate some future vulnerabilities
that may appear. I can volunteer myself to add the necessary steps to
fuzz GCC on the OSS Fuzz side, but I would like to get some status on:

- Does GCC build system support at least AFL or libfuzzer?
- Is there any infrastructure to automatically test this?
- How to test GCC with fuzzing, if possible

--
Sincerely,
Luís Ferreira @ lsferreira.net

* Re: Security actions to mitigate future vulnerabilities
@ 2021-09-28 16:59 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-09-28 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luís Ferreira; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 17:23, Luís Ferreira <contact@lsferreira.net> wrote:

> During my fuzzing test with libfuzzer I found out that GCC is not part
> of OSS-Fuzz project. Would be cool to discuss here a bit more about
> fuzzing GCC codebase in order to mitigate some future vulnerabilities
> that may appear. I can volunteer myself to add the necessary steps to
> fuzz GCC on the OSS Fuzz side, but I would like to get some status on:
>
> - Does GCC build system support at least AFL or libfuzzer?
> - Is there any infrastructure to automatically test this?
> - How to test GCC with fuzzing, if possible

I'd like the libstdc++ <iostream> and <regex> code to get fuzzed, and
maybe std::filesystem::path construction. I've discussed it with
people before, but none of us got around to setting it up.

* Re: Security actions to mitigate future vulnerabilities
@ 2021-09-28 17:15   ` Luís Ferreira
From: Luís Ferreira @ 2021-09-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 2021-09-28 at 17:59 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 17:23, Luís Ferreira <contact@lsferreira.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > During my fuzzing test with libfuzzer I found out that GCC is not
> > part
> > of OSS-Fuzz project. Would be cool to discuss here a bit more about
> > fuzzing GCC codebase in order to mitigate some future
> > vulnerabilities
> > that may appear. I can volunteer myself to add the necessary steps
> > fuzz GCC on the OSS Fuzz side, but I would like to get some status
> > on:
> >
> > - Does GCC build system support at least AFL or libfuzzer?
> > - Is there any infrastructure to automatically test this?
> > - How to test GCC with fuzzing, if possible
>
> I'd like the libstdc++ <iostream> and <regex> code to get fuzzed, and
> maybe std::filesystem::path construction. I've discussed it with
> people before, but none of us got around to setting it up.

My idea would be to start with libiberty mangling, since it is what I'm
tackling right now. this can be further expaneded to libstdc++, if
needed. Adding the infrastructure for that to automatically fuzz GCC
components easily, would be desired as a first step, IMO.

--

@ 2021-09-28 18:18     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-09-28 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsferreira; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 18:15, Luís Ferreira <contact@lsferreira.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2021-09-28 at 17:59 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 17:23, Luís Ferreira <contact@lsferreira.net>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > During my fuzzing test with libfuzzer I found out that GCC is not
> > > part
> > > of OSS-Fuzz project. Would be cool to discuss here a bit more about
> > > fuzzing GCC codebase in order to mitigate some future
> > > vulnerabilities
> > > that may appear. I can volunteer myself to add the necessary steps
> > > fuzz GCC on the OSS Fuzz side, but I would like to get some status
> > > on:
> > >
> > > - Does GCC build system support at least AFL or libfuzzer?
> > > - Is there any infrastructure to automatically test this?
> > > - How to test GCC with fuzzing, if possible
> >
> > I'd like the libstdc++ <iostream> and <regex> code to get fuzzed, and
> > maybe std::filesystem::path construction. I've discussed it with
> > people before, but none of us got around to setting it up.
>
> My idea would be to start with libiberty mangling, since it is what I'm
> tackling right now. this can be further expaneded to libstdc++, if
> needed. Adding the infrastructure for that to automatically fuzz GCC
> components easily, would be desired as a first step, IMO.

Loads and loads of people seem to fuzz the demangler, judging by the
number of bugs that get reported against it with reproducers that
obviously come from a fizzer.

It might be more useful to fuzz somethign else that everybody isn't
already doing.

* Re: Security actions to mitigate future vulnerabilities
@ 2021-09-28 19:52       ` Luís Ferreira
From: Luís Ferreira @ 2021-09-28 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc