* Archaeology time: Help me identify these ancient OSes and vendors
@ 2024-05-28  2:35 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2024-05-28  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: config-patches, gcc

I've been trying to fill in as many gaps as possible in the config.sub
test suite (and finding a whole bunch of actual bugs in the process).
I have a short list of inputs where the actual code to handle them is
incomplete or broken, there's nothing in config.guess to use as a clue,
and I don't know what the correct canonical system name should be.

These are probably all either vendor or OS names from the late 1980s or
early 1990s.  Can anyone help me fill out the following list of things
that ought to appear in testsuite/config-sub.data, if I knew what to
put in place of the question marks?

???-pc533        ???-pc533-???
???-sim          ???-sim-???
???-ultra        ???-ultra-???
???-unicom       ???-unicom-???
???-acis         ???-???-aos
???-triton       ???-???-sysv3
???-oss          ???-???-sysv3
???-storm-chaos  ???-???-???

n.b. "storm-chaos" is extra troublesome because (a) it's too generic
to search for, and (b) it's being treated as a $os value but it's got
a dash in the middle, i.e. the code to handle it never got updated
for four-part canonical system names.

Thanks for any hints you can provide.
zw

* Re: Archaeology time: Help me identify these ancient OSes and vendors
@ 2024-05-29 20:54 ` John Marshall
From: John Marshall @ 2024-05-29 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: config-patches, gcc

On 28 May 2024, at 14:35, Zack Weinberg <zack@owlfolio.org> wrote:
> These are probably all either vendor or OS names from the late 1980s or
> early 1990s.  Can anyone help me fill out the following list of things
> that ought to appear in testsuite/config-sub.data, if I knew what to
> put in place of the question marks?
>
> ???-storm-chaos  ???-???-???

I remember the storm-chaos port being added to binutils and/or GCC in around 2000 -- the name was fairly distinctive! A bit of spelunking leads to

	https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2000-November/007871.html
	https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2000-November/007873.html

and thence to https://github.com/chaos4ever/chaos

    John