* [GSoC 2019] No application template?
@ 2019-03-24  6:29 김규래
From: 김규래 @ 2019-03-24  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek

Hello,
I was trying to write my application for GSoC 2019 but couldn't find an application form for GCC.
Some other organizations seem to have GSoC application forms/templates.
The gcc GSoC wiki page doesn't mention any.
Is the application format free? or did I miss it somewhere?
If it is free, is there anything I should include else than what is mentioned in [1, 2]

Ray Kim

[1] https://www.drupal.org/node/59037
[2] http://of-code.blogspot.com/2007/08/soc-experience-introduction.html

* Re: [GSoC 2019] No application template?
@ 2019-03-25 23:32 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2019-03-25 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 김규래, gcc; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 24 2019, 김규래 wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to write my application for GSoC 2019 but couldn't find an application form for GCC.
> Some other organizations seem to have GSoC application forms/templates.
> The gcc GSoC wiki page doesn't mention any.
> Is the application format free? or did I miss it somewhere?

No, you did not miss anything, we do not have any specific application
format to follow.  In the OpenMP tread you sounded like you knew what
to do and why anyway.  But to at last give an example, last year this
was an application that would have been accepted if the applicant did
not retract it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YkKYI3J-pKFfHLdxljWVoJ89l2oVGibxslIW3ikluz8/edit
(at least at the moment it i still available).

> If it is free, is there anything I should include else than what is mentioned in [1, 2]

Generally speaking, it is probably a good idea to accompany the proposed
project description with a brief motivation, an expected time-line (we
understand it is likely to change) and a brief introduction of your
technical background, skills and/or accomplishments.  The project
description is the most important part however (and each project is
perhaps best explained differently), we'll mostly judge your abilities
from your interactions with us, on mailing lists and IRC, rather than
from a CV.

If you share the proposal with us on this list some three or four work
days before submitting it, we are likely to have a look at it and
comment if we'd like something changed.

Good luck,

Martin

@ 2019-03-26 19:42   ` 김규래
From: 김규래 @ 2019-03-26 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, gcc

Hello,
Thanks for your guidance.
I adopted a little bit from the HPX form and the previous year's form that you provided.
Below is the link to my proposal yet submitted to GSoC.
I will happily receive any feedback before submitting.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UwrBOsiAXsZSClsq1r6tAEw6QdqUzJvgW74SQpcWlIU/edit?usp=sharing

Ray Kim.