From: NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com>
To: skenton@ou.edu, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why is building a cross compiler "out-of-the-box" always broken?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 05:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Stephen,

I have been working on the x86_64-pc-mingw32 toolchain with Kai Tietz
(Kai is the main person, I am doing much more learning than helping).
I put together a built script that requires no tweaking whatsoever of
any of the projects incorporated in the toolchain.  It is very
straightforward.  You can check it out here:

http://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mingw-w64/experimental/buildsystem/makebuildroot.sh?revision=56

The project itself is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64

If you make a new directory (like /tmp/rt) and change into it, then
run the script with the single argument "build", it will download
binutils, gcc, the crt, and the headers, then proceed to compile
everything using the most default set of options and create a
buildroot starting at the present working directory.

The options to binutils are:
--prefix=$PF --with-sysroot=$PF
--target=x86_64-pc-mingw32
--disable-nls

gcc only adds the option --enable-languages=c.

The disable-nls option is just there to make the build faster -- it is
not needed.  with-sysroot has replaced with-headers and with-includes,
and it allows for easy creation of buildroots.  I set the prefix equal
to the same thing because it works and I don't really understand it
enough to do differently.

The biggest difference between this and normal toolchains is the
absence of glibc.

Anyway, tell me what you think.