* Stack based / zero operand CPU - ZPU
@ 2008-01-14 10:09 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2008-01-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,

I've implemented a stack based or zero operand CPU, including GCC/gdb toolchain,
eCos operating system support, simulator, HDL implementation, etc.

I'm boldly assuming that a fair number of people on this list might
find this a little
bit fascinating.

It's all open source of course:
http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/zpu/overview

- the ZPU has 11 instructions, the rest is implemented using microcode(yields
small CPU + small code size).
- the only registers are SP and PC
- 16 or 32 bit datapath
- GCC is very much oriented towards all sorts of register based CPU's. I settled
on exposing stack slots as CPU registers + some other tricks. GCC generates
very decent code(80% of codesize to ARM thumb).
- Cygwin binaries + GCC source code available(of course)
- ++

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com - eCos ARM & FPGA  developer kit

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-01-14  9:58 UTC | newest]