* internal compiler error: in reload_combine_note_use, at   postreload.c:1093
@ 2009-05-13 11:29 daniel tian
From: daniel tian @ 2009-05-13 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, yxun lan

I have ported gcc4.0.2  to 32bit RISC chip. But internal compiler
error happened: in reload_combine_note_use, at postreload.c:1093 . I
tracked the code with insight.  error occurred in "CASE REG", when the
register number is larger than FIRST_PSEUDO_REGISTER. Does this mean
the reload register allocation failed?  What I know is that there is
no pseudo register used after reload completed (Is this right?).

Can anyone give me some advice?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thank you very much.

                                                 Daniel.Tian

* Re: internal compiler error: in reload_combine_note_use, at   postreload.c:1093
@ 2009-05-13 11:58 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-05-13 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel tian; +Cc: gcc, Ian Lance Taylor, yxun lan

daniel tian wrote:
> I have ported gcc4.0.2  to 32bit RISC chip. But internal compiler
> error happened: in reload_combine_note_use, at postreload.c:1093 . I
> tracked the code with insight.  error occurred in "CASE REG", when the
> register number is larger than FIRST_PSEUDO_REGISTER. Does this mean
> the reload register allocation failed?  What I know is that there is
> no pseudo register used after reload completed (Is this right?).

  Yes, this is correct.

> Can anyone give me some advice?

  It is most likely one of the expanders or other patterns in your MD file is
unconditionally calling a function such as force_reg() without checking the
reload_completed / reload_in_progress flags.  If this pattern gets invoked
post-reload, that will allocate a pseudo and then fail later.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: internal compiler error: in reload_combine_note_use, at   postreload.c:1093
@ 2009-05-14 11:53   ` daniel tian
From: daniel tian @ 2009-05-14 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: gcc, Ian Lance Taylor, yxun lan

Thank you for your advice.

Yes. I checked the MD file and relative machine.h/.c, there are some
places which call the ''force_reg' unconditionally. I modified the it
in "movm" insn pattern, the error still exists. And I also check the
mips/arm, they also call 'force_reg' unconditional in some places.

Anything I missed?

@ 2009-05-14 22:18     ` Jean Christophe Beyler
From: Jean Christophe Beyler @ 2009-05-14 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel tian; +Cc: Dave Korn, gcc, Ian Lance Taylor, yxun lan

Except if I'm mistaken, force_reg will generally call gen_reg_rtx
which does check for those two flags internally (via
can_create_pseudo_p). So you should not have that error in this case.

I suggest you use a debug_rtx on the operand that's a problem, and
first check if gen_reg_rtx is used to create it. If that's the case,
you can use gdb to trace when it's called, get a backtrace and work
from there.

Jc