* current state of gcc-ia16?
@ 2018-06-08 10:59 Dennis Luehring
From: Dennis Luehring @ 2018-06-08 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

is the patch already integrated into mainline?

is this the most recent development place?
https://github.com/tkchia/gcc-ia16

* Re: current state of gcc-ia16?
@ 2018-06-08 11:43 ` Andrew Jenner
From: Andrew Jenner @ 2018-06-08 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Luehring, GCC Development

Hi Dennis,

On 08/06/2018 11:37, Dennis Luehring wrote:
> is the patch already integrated into mainline?

No, it's not.

> is this the most recent development place?
> https://github.com/tkchia/gcc-ia16

Yes, that's the right place.

Andrew

* Re: current state of gcc-ia16?
@ 2018-06-08 12:06   ` Dennis Luehring
From: Dennis Luehring @ 2018-06-08 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jenner, GCC Development

>> is the patch already integrated into mainline?
>No, it's not.

will that ever happen?

>> is this the most recent development place?
>> https://github.com/tkchia/gcc-ia16
>Yes, that's the right place.

thx

Am 08.06.2018 um 12:59 schrieb Andrew Jenner:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> On 08/06/2018 11:37, Dennis Luehring wrote:
> > is the patch already integrated into mainline?
>
> No, it's not.
>
> > is this the most recent development place?
> > https://github.com/tkchia/gcc-ia16
>
> Yes, that's the right place.
>
> Andrew

* Re: current state of gcc-ia16?
@ 2018-06-08 13:22     ` Andrew Jenner
From: Andrew Jenner @ 2018-06-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Luehring, GCC Development

On 08/06/2018 12:43, Dennis Luehring wrote:
>>> is the patch already integrated into mainline?
>> No, it's not.
>
> will that ever happen?

Hard to say. There's no reason in principle why it couldn't happen, but
there's not a big demand for it, so it would require someone taking the
time and trouble to do it. It's not trivial, though - the current
implementation has some middle-end changes which would need thinking
through and doing properly to avoid polluting that code with ia16-isms.

I might update it and have another try at upstreaming it at some point
if nobody else does it first, but I have too much else going on at the
moment so it would likely be a year or two (maybe more) before I get to it.

Andrew

* Re: current state of gcc-ia16?
@ 2018-06-11 19:19       ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2018-06-11 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jenner, Dennis Luehring, GCC Development

On 06/08/2018 06:05 AM, Andrew Jenner wrote:
>>> No, it's not.
>>
>> will that ever happen?
>
> Hard to say. There's no reason in principle why it couldn't happen, but
> there's not a big demand for it, so it would require someone taking the
> time and trouble to do it. It's not trivial, though - the current
> implementation has some middle-end changes which would need thinking
> through and doing properly to avoid polluting that code with ia16-isms.
>
> I might update it and have another try at upstreaming it at some point
> if nobody else does it first, but I have too much else going on at the
> moment so it would likely be a year or two (maybe more) before I get to it.
Time is by far the biggest concern for the ia16 backend.  THere's just a
mountain of higher priority stuff right now.  It doesn't help that I
keep getting dragged into other stuff :(

jeff