From: Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com>
To: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>,
	Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>,
Subject: Re: style of code examples in changes.html
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 22:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 04/23/2018 10:55 AM, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 20:34 -0600, Martin Sebor wrote:
>> Hi David & Gerald,
>
> (sorry for the late response; I was offline on vacation last week)
>
>> I noticed that the coding examples in the updates I committed
>> to changes.html use a different formatting style than David's.
>> I just copied mine from GCC 7 changes.html, and those I copied
>> from David's for that version :)
>
> There are at least two kinds of example in the website:
> (a) source code examples, and
> (b) "screenshots" of gcc output, which can themselves contain code
> output as part of a diagnostic.
>
> I got sick of hand-converting (b) to our HTML tags, so I wrote a script
> to do it, which I used for my gcc-8/changes.html.
>
> The script is in the website's CVS repository as:
>   bin/gcc-color-to-html.py
> and can be run like this:
>
> LANG=C \
>   gcc $@ \
>     -fdiagnostics-color=always 2>&1 \
> | ./bin/gcc-color-to-html.py
>
> See
>   https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2018-04/msg00186.html
>
> I also added a
>   <pre class="blackbg">
>   </pre>
> around the output, though this isn't done by the above script.
>
> I actually had a fair bit more scripting than this, based on the
> scripting I did for my blogpost here:
>   https://github.com/davidmalcolm/gcc-8-blogpost/blob/master/blog.html.in
> where lines like:
>
> INVOKE_GCC unclosed.c
>
> in a foo.html.in get turned into a "screenshot" of the pertinent gcc
> invocation in the foo.html.  But given that we don't want to require
> running gcc itself to build the website (and indeed, specific gcc
> versions), I just used this to generate the patch.
>
>> Should we make an effort to
>> make them all look the same?
>
> Naturally, for (b), I favor the new style I used :)  (using the black
> background, which may be enough to get the same look).
>
> I'm not sure if we want to use it for (a).
>
>> FWIW, I didn't notice the difference until my changes published.
>> I'm guessing that's because the style sheet the page uses isn't
>> referenced from the original document and the reference is only
>> added by Gerald's script.  Is there a simple way to set things
>> up so we can see our changes as they will appear when published?
>
> I've been adding these lines to the <head> of the page:
>   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../gcc.css" />
> while testing the content.

Thanks.  I've changed my coding examples to match yours.  I did
it quickly, by hand, and not by running your scripts.

Going forward, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try to come
up with a way to automate updating this document to ensure we end
up with a consistent look.  The automation could also take care
of validating the document.  The last time I tried to fix
the errors and warnings I got from https://validator.w3.org
I ended up breaking things because my changes conflicted with
those inserted by the post-processing done by Gerald's scripts
on the server side.

Martin