Hi Jonathan, On 6/11/22 00:47, Jonathan Wakely wrote: > Well, I'd argue the same reasons to remove it from C++.  Don't know how > useful that feature is for C++, though.  I bet not much, but am not an > expert in the language. > > > It's used in libstdc++ because I couldn't get an attribute to work in > any other location, because it isn't valid at other positions in a > constrained function template. So no, we can't remove it from C++. > Hmm, okay, not removable in C++. I'm curious about the specific line of code, if you have it around and could link to it. But C++ is huge, so anything is to be expected :) > > > > But, are we sure we want to add this to C?  You know how difficult > is to > revert mistakes in C, as opposed to C++, where additions and > deprecations are more common. > > > To the core language grammar? Are you sure about that? Well, everything is relative. libstdc++ additions, deprecations (and undeprecations) are much more common than in the core C++ language (e.g., the deprecation and later undeprecation of headers). But breaking changes in the core C++ language are still more common than in C, where (sadly) we still have the useless 'auto' for backwards compatibility with dead languages, which would be nice in macros with the meaning of __auto_type. Maybe in the 2050s? :P So, C++ needs this feature. Then in C, we don't need it (I've never seen code reusing the return type to declare more than one function, and I hope to never see that apart from theoretical investigation). `int foo(void), bar(void);` seems a useless feature in the language to me, but maybe disallowing it through an exception to the rules would complicate the wording more than help, so if that's kept in the language, I'm fine with it. So we could, and also could not, bring the C++ attribute for that useless feature. In C, I don't think that attribute position can have a useful use case that can't be achieved by an attribute at the start of the prototype, since the language is much simpler. Do we want to add a completely unnecessary feature, just for symmetry with C++, even if it poses a danger of breaking (both human and script) readability of function declarations/definitions, especially when hidden in macros? I still have the hope that if the feature is finally kept in C23, absolutely no-one will ever use it, but then I question the introduction in the first place. Cheers, Alex -- Alejandro Colomar Linux man-pages comaintainer; http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/ http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/