* GCC 10.0 Status Report (2019-10-22), Stage 1 to end Nov 16th
@ 2019-10-22 12:53 Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2019-10-22 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc-patches

Status
======

GCC trunk is open for general development, stage 1.  Stage 1
tentatively ends at the end of Saturday, Nov. 16th, after which
we enter general bugfixing, Stage 3 which is expected to last
two months, closing with finalizing the transition to git.

Please make sure to get features intended for GCC 10 finished
and reviewed before the end of stage 1.

Quality Data
============

Priority          #   Change from last report
--------        ---   -----------------------
P1                6   +   5
P2              207   +  42
P3              129   + 113
P4		151   +  10
P5		 23   -   2
--------        ---   -----------------------
Total P1-P3     342   + 160
Total		516   + 168

Previous Report
===============

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2019-04/msg00258.html

* Re: GCC 10.0 Status Report (2019-10-22), Stage 1 to end Nov 16th
@ 2019-11-01 15:01 ` Romain Geissler
From: Romain Geissler @ 2019-11-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: GCC Patches

Le mar. 22 oct. 2019 à 14:53, Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de> a écrit :

> Please make sure to get features intended for GCC 10 finished
> and reviewed before the end of stage 1.

Hi,

I understand my question comes very (most likely too) late, but are
there any plans to switch the default C++ dialect to -std=gnu++17 when
invoking g++ ? C++17 support in gcc is now quite complete, has been
out tested by some users since gcc 8, so shall it be switched on by
default in gcc 10 ? Or gcc 11 ? However I fear doing that may break
some tests in the testsuite, I hope not too many.

Cheers,
Romain

* Re: GCC 10.0 Status Report (2019-10-22), Stage 1 to end Nov 16th
@ 2019-11-01 15:08   ` Marek Polacek
From: Marek Polacek @ 2019-11-01 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Geissler; +Cc: gcc, GCC Patches

On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 04:01:12PM +0100, Romain Geissler wrote:
> Le mar. 22 oct. 2019 à 14:53, Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de> a écrit :
> >
> > Please make sure to get features intended for GCC 10 finished
> > and reviewed before the end of stage 1.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I understand my question comes very (most likely too) late, but are
> there any plans to switch the default C++ dialect to -std=gnu++17 when
> invoking g++ ? C++17 support in gcc is now quite complete, has been
> out tested by some users since gcc 8, so shall it be switched on by
> default in gcc 10 ? Or gcc 11 ? However I fear doing that may break
> some tests in the testsuite, I hope not too many.

I plan to propose a switch to -std=gnu++17 in GCC 11.  I think it's way
too late for GCC 10.

Dealing with the testsuite fallout, and rebuilding Fedora packages is
of course part of that switch.

--
Marek Polacek • Red Hat, Inc. • 300 A St, Boston, MA

* Re: GCC 10.0 Status Report (2019-10-22), Stage 1 to end Nov 16th
@ 2019-11-01 15:31     ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2019-11-01 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Polacek, Romain Geissler; +Cc: gcc, GCC Patches

On 11/1/19 9:08 AM, Marek Polacek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 04:01:12PM +0100, Romain Geissler wrote:
>> Le mar. 22 oct. 2019 à 14:53, Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Please make sure to get features intended for GCC 10 finished
>>> and reviewed before the end of stage 1.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I understand my question comes very (most likely too) late, but are
>> there any plans to switch the default C++ dialect to -std=gnu++17 when
>> invoking g++ ? C++17 support in gcc is now quite complete, has been
>> out tested by some users since gcc 8, so shall it be switched on by
>> default in gcc 10 ? Or gcc 11 ? However I fear doing that may break
>> some tests in the testsuite, I hope not too many.
>
> I plan to propose a switch to -std=gnu++17 in GCC 11.  I think it's way
> too late for GCC 10.
>
> Dealing with the testsuite fallout, and rebuilding Fedora packages is
> of course part of that switch.
FWIW, we *could* do the rebuild test, we've got time for that.  What's
far more interesting would be dealing with the fallout ;-)

I'd tend to agree though, flip the default as soon as gcc-11 stage1
opens.  That gives us plenty of time to deal with any fallout.

jeff

* Re: GCC 10.0 Status Report (2019-10-22), Stage 1 to end Nov 16th
@ 2019-11-01 15:43       ` Marek Polacek
From: Marek Polacek @ 2019-11-01 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law; +Cc: Romain Geissler, gcc, GCC Patches

On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 09:31:07AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 11/1/19 9:08 AM, Marek Polacek wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I understand my question comes very (most likely too) late, but are
> >> there any plans to switch the default C++ dialect to -std=gnu++17 when
> >> invoking g++ ? C++17 support in gcc is now quite complete, has been
> >> out tested by some users since gcc 8, so shall it be switched on by
> >> default in gcc 10 ? Or gcc 11 ? However I fear doing that may break
> >> some tests in the testsuite, I hope not too many.
> >
> > I plan to propose a switch to -std=gnu++17 in GCC 11.  I think it's way
> > too late for GCC 10.
> >
> > Dealing with the testsuite fallout, and rebuilding Fedora packages is
> > of course part of that switch.
> FWIW, we *could* do the rebuild test, we've got time for that.  What's
> far more interesting would be dealing with the fallout ;-)

I most definitely had your tester in mind ;).

> I'd tend to agree though, flip the default as soon as gcc-11 stage1
> opens.  That gives us plenty of time to deal with any fallout.

Sounds like we have a plan.

--
Marek Polacek • Red Hat, Inc. • 300 A St, Boston, MA