From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
To: Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GSoC proposal for extending static analyzer
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:05:29 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 19:58 +0530, Mir Immad wrote:
> I've submitted a proposal for extending the static analyzer to support
> posix fd APIs on GSoC website. Here is the Google docs link (gdocs
> <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/188zxPUsuYcF-uGVYL_G1s2RVtHhJSZeQ4sha40H7374/edit?usp=sharing
> >).
>

> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>
> Thank you.

Thanks.

FWIW, I'm getting an error when trying the URL given in your github
repo: http://mirimmad.me/
but https://mirimmad.github.io/ seems to work  - but it's almost empty.

You don't give many specifics in your personal decription.  One thing
I'm not seeing is a sense of how proficient you are in various
programming languages.  In particular, how is your C and C++?  How
familiar are you with the debugger?  Looking at your github, you seem
to have relevant experience in compilers, which is great, but all your
code appears to be with "managed" languages such as Ruby, Java, and
Python  [and Zeta :)].

Also, the proposal is to extend the analyzer to cover a specific
domain: various POSIX APIs.  Can you please give a sense of your level
of expertise with these APIs?  I was pleased at your initiative in
trying to reuse the existing code to work with them.  That said, I got
the sense from your previous emails that you're not very familiar with
the APIs, and that you chose them because that was the suggestion I had
made on the wiki page.  Obviously it's something you can learn on the
way, but it would be better to accurately identify which areas you're
going need to learn along the way, and the timetable and scope should
reflect that.

Hope this is constructive
Dave