From: Andrew MacLeod <amacleod@redhat.com>
To: nick <xerofoify@gmail.com>, "Martin Liška" <mliska@suse.cz>
Cc: GCC Development <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: FIXME in gcc/gimplify.c
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 13:33:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 4/1/19 5:17 PM, nick wrote:

> On 2019-04-01 1:54 p.m., Andrew MacLeod wrote:
>>
>> #include "tree-flow.h"
>> #include "cgraph.h"
>> #include "timevar.h"
>> #include "hashtab.h"
>> #include "flags.h"
>> #include "function.h"
>> #include "ggc.h"
>> #include "diagnostic-core.h"
>> #include "target.h"
>> #include "pointer-set.h"
>> #include "splay-tree.h"
>> #include "vec.h"
>> #include "gimple.h"
>>
>> #include "langhooks-def.h"      /* FIXME: for lhd_set_decl_assembler_name */
>> #include "tree-pass.h"          /* FIXME: only for PROP_gimple_any */
>>

>> so that comment predates anything I did to it.   I specifically left any comments that existed as I refactored the core bits.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
> Andrew,
>
> I assumed so but it was the last commit and have your names. I will leave this thread open for discussion if anyone knows what
> the outstanding issues with header refactoring as required for fixing those comments. If someone comments and is able to give
> me a heads up about what needs refactoring I will be glad to do it in a patch or probably patch series.
>
> Nick
Once upon a  time someone went thru the compiler and added comments to a
few of thesecomments to  #include's when there were only one or two
dependencies.

I'm not sure what the original intention was, or why it was tagged as
"FIXME".    The problem with this approach is it can rapidly get out of
date.. as can be seen by the other undefined messages that caused the
compilation issue when the #Include is removed.  There is actually half
a dozen things required from this include file.

We almost removed all those comments when the re-factoring was being
performed, but it was automated and there were other comments that were
relevant, so we elected to just preserve all comments.

I don't see any particular reason or need to fix these includes. I think
the comments are out of date and unnecessary, but won't lose any sleep
over them.

tree-pass.h is required to compile this file. It is not included by any
other include file, so there is no ordering issue I can see, nor any
need to remove the #include.

Andrew