* Collect2 issue
@ 2021-02-11  8:40 Gary Oblock
From: Gary Oblock @ 2021-02-11  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm running my new optimization (LTO with one partition)
on a SPEC17 test.

I got the mysterious message
  "collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status"

Now, first off, with my debugging on at full tilt and it's
clear my optimization bailed out after analyzing
the code without doing anything.

Second, this is a canned test not modified by
me or anybody else for that matter so, it's
not a user error.

Finally, reading various blogs it seems that
old object files hanging around can make
collect2 to go bonkers. Therefore, I used
specmake to clean the build and it didn't
help, not that this makes any sense with one
partition.

By the way, for those of you that get upset
at the very notion of invoking LTO as one partition,
it's actually not that bad. I can compiler gcc
that way on a laptop in about 50 minuets using
only 4.7% of my memory!

Any ideas?? What's happening, how to diagnose
what's happening, how to work around it, etc...

Thanks,

Gary

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information that is confidential and proprietary to Ampere Computing or its subsidiaries. It is to be used solely for the purpose of furthering the parties' business relationship. Any unauthorized review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

* Re: Collect2 issue
@ 2021-02-11  8:54 ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2021-02-11  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oblock, gcc

On 2/11/21 9:40 AM, Gary Oblock via Gcc wrote:
> I'm running my new optimization (LTO with one partition)
> on a SPEC17 test.
>
> I got the mysterious message
>    "collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status"

Hello.

Can you please post full build log done with --verbose GCC argument?

Thanks,
Martin