From: Andrew Stubbs <ams@codesourcery.com>
To: Wileam Yonatan Phan <wileamyp@outlook.com>,
	"gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Clarification on newlib version for building AMDGCN offloading backend
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:45:51 +0100	[thread overview]

On 29/03/2023 19:18, Wileam Yonatan Phan wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I just built GCC 12.2.0 with AMDGCN offloading successfully with Spack!
> However, when I tried to test it with an OpenACC test code that I have, I encountered the following error message:
>
> wyp@basecamp:~/work/testcodes/f90-acc-ddot$ gfortran -fopenacc -foffload=amdgcn-unknown-amdhsa="-march=gfx900" ddot.f90
> as: unrecognized option '-triple=amdgcn--amdhsa'
> mkoffload: fatal error: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-accel-amdgcn-unknown-amdhsa-gcc returned 1 exit status
> compilation terminated.
> lto-wrapper: fatal error: /home/wyp/work/spack/opt/spack/linux-ubuntu20.04-zen2/gcc-12.2.0/gcc-12.2.0-w7lclfarefmge3uegn2a5vw37bnwhwto/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/12.2.0//accel/amdgcn-unknown-amdhsa/mkoffload returned 1 exit status
> compilation terminated.
> /usr/bin/ld: error: lto-wrapper failed

My guess is that it's trying to use the wrong assembler. Usually this
means there is a problem with your installation procedure and/or your
PATH. I think you should be able to investigate further using -v and/or
strace. The correct one should be named
$DESTDIR/usr/local/amdgcn-amdhsa/bin/as, but this will be different if
you configured GCC with a custom --prefix location. If you have
relocated the toolchain since installation then the toolchain will
attempt to locate libraries and tools relative to the gcc binary. If it
does not find them there then it looks in the "usual places", and those
usually contain an "as" suitable only for the host system.

If you find an error on the Wiki instructions please let me know and I
will correct them.

Andrew