* Reason for missing notes for incomplete-type errors in standard headers
@ 2022-08-05 16:38 Julian Lenz
From: Julian Lenz @ 2022-08-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi everybody,

TL;DR:

What is the reason that `error: '<some class>' has incomplete type` does
not give a note about where the forward declaration happened for
standard library classes?

Full:

Recently, I forgot to include <array> but had <tuple> included. Due to
this recent commit for gcc12

https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/commit/261d5a4a459bd49942e53bc83334ccc7154a09d5

the `error: 'std::array<int,N>' has incomplete type` felt like a weird
regression because all other major gcc versions as well as clang
compiled just fine. After many hours of debugging, I finally realised
that it was just a missing header and now the error message actually
makes sense.

But when I experimented with this, I found that gcc does give you
'class SomeClass<int>'` with line number and everything. Now, I wonder
why gcc doesn't do that for standard headers (at least not in my
particular case). Is there a compelling argument for that? It feels like
it must be intentional. If not, I would suggest adding that because I'm
pretty sure it would have spared me a couple of hours just by realising
quickly that it takes `std::array` from the wrong header.

Thank you in advance and keep up the great work!

Julian

* Re: Reason for missing notes for incomplete-type errors in standard headers
@ 2022-08-05 16:55 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-08-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Lenz; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 17:39, Julian Lenz via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> TL;DR:
>
> What is the reason that `error: '<some class>' has incomplete type` does
> not give a note about where the forward declaration happened for
> standard library classes?

Probably because the declaration happens in a system header.

Does -Wsystem-headers change it?

* Re: Reason for missing notes for incomplete-type errors in standard headers
@ 2022-08-05 20:27   ` Julian Lenz
From: Julian Lenz @ 2022-08-05 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick answer. No, it doesn't for the simplest possible case:

     #include <tuple>

     int main() { std::array<int,1> arr; };

But admittedly that would have been a surprise to me as I usually
compile with -Wall -Wextra -Werror.

But I tried to replace `<array>` with `<tuple>` in yet another code
(tiny but real-life, so not as trivial as above) with two appearances of
`std::array` and there, one does yield the note.

I boiled it down to the following: The typename seems to not yield the
note but the constructor does notify, i.e. in

     1 std::array<int,1> f() {

     2    return std::array<int,1>{{1}};

     3 }

Line 1 and 2 raise an error but only Line 2 comes with a note.

Best,

Julian