From: Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de>
To: Iain Sandoe <idsandoe@googlemail.com>
Cc: GCC Development <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Use -ftls-model=local-exec for RTEMS by default?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 13:19:27 +0200	[thread overview]

On 21.07.22 10:03, Iain Sandoe wrote:
>> This sounds like an interesting approach in the long run, however, I need a short term solution which I can back port to GCC 10, 11, and 12. I guess I will add a
>>
>> MULTILIB_EXTRA_OPTS = ftls-model=local-exec
>>
>> to all RTEMS multilib configurations.
>>
>> In general I think the target hooks are hard to customize for operating systems.
> (IMO) It can be not too tricky -  Darwin customises several - you just have to override the default definition in your target-specific header and provide the replacement e.g ( override in config/darwin.h, replacement in config/darwin.cc):
>
> #undef TARGET_ENCODE_SECTION_INFO
> #define TARGET_ENCODE_SECTION_INFO  darwin_encode_section_info

The problem is that in this case you need a target-specific copy and
paste solution. For example lets suppose you want to use

#define CC1_SPEC "%{!ftls-model=*:-ftls-model=local-exec}"

for RTEMS (in gcc/config/rtems.h), then you have a problem on for
example microblaze (gcc/config/microblaze/microblaze.h):

#ifndef CC1_SPEC
#define CC1_SPEC " \
%{G*} \
%(subtarget_cc1_spec) \
%{mxl-multiply-high:-mcpu=v6.00.a} \
"
#endif

or nios2 (gcc/config/nios2/nios2.h):

#define CC1_SPEC "%{G*}"

For each target you would have to check if you have to provide some
extra times for CC1_SPEC through copy and paste.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München