* GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-05-05 11:37 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2002-05-05 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

We are nearing the end of the GCC 3.1 release cycle.  There are just
a couple of high-priority PRs outstanding.  We will fix them, and then
ship the release.

Therefore, as of now, I will be accepting *no* patches that do not fix
regressions.  If you want me to approve a patch for GCC 3.1, please tell
me that you know that it fixes an actual regression.

Otherwise, I will not accept the patch, even if it is trivial, obvious,
safe, and you have a note from your mother. :-)

I apologize for the delays in the release.  We've needed them in order
to get the quality up, but that reflects that we let the mainline get
too shoddy.  It also means that we started doing serious testing
too late.  Let's do better in GCC 3.2.

* Re: GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-15 15:06 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-04-15 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark; +Cc: gcc

    There's also the problem that some people don't seem to want to invest
    very much effort to fix problems on platforms they don't use, even
    when it's clear they created the problem.  That's a social issue.

Not completely.  In some cases I recall, what happened was that a patch
triggered a latent bug on some machine.  Fixing that can often require
quite intimiate knowlege of the structure of that machine and/or port,
so it's not just a matter of unwillingness to fix it but it can often be
inability.  I see this as a serious problem because from a project point
of view we don't want to let a useful and totally correct improvement not be
applied because of some latent bug in a not-widely-used target.  But that
doesn't mean we want to break that target either.  I don't think there's a
good solution to this problem.

* Re: GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-14 10:34 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-04-14 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hjl, toon; +Cc: gcc, mark, neil

what we do with the GNAT releases, which has worked well is to issue a
candidate release. Then we encourage all customers to try out this new
release and report problems and regressions.

We fix *ONLY* regressions, and *ONLY* if the fix is safe. We do not allow
any other fixes into the final release which follows a few months later.

* Re: GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-13 13:51 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-04-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark, tromey; +Cc: gcc

<<In fact what I'd really like to see is a requirement for such a
regression tester for every platform that is considered release
critical.  (I'm sure the logistics of this are difficult.)

I strongly support this. It is certainly what we do at ACT (we build all
versions every night, and immediately fix or backout any changes that break
any target).

Mark> The amount of breakage since GCC 3.0 continues to amaze me.

It does not surprise me so much. At this stage, it would somewhat surprise me
if we were NOT running into this kind of breakage in the absence of systematic
multi-platform regression testing.

I know that it would be near to impossible to keep GNAT highly stable without
this kind of regression testing.

* GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-12 18:51 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2002-04-12 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

As should be clear at this point, there is no way that we are going
to be shipping GCC 3.1 on Monday.

The amount of breakage since GCC 3.0 continues to amaze me.

We still have about 30 open bugs that we need to try to resolve
for this release.

To that end, I'm as of now slipping the GCC 3.1 release date by two
weeks, until May 1st.

I have a proposal before the SC to slip the GCC 3.2 schedule even
further; so that the first phase of GCC 3.2 development will now end
one month  beyond the release of GCC 3.1 -- June 1st -- pushing the
GCC 3.2  release date back to October 1st so as to give people time to
work on major changes for GCC 3.2 *after* GCC 3.1 is released.

Please concentrate on GCC 3.1 to the best of your ability.  And please
think very carefully about the changes you make on the GCC 3.2 mainline.
It's really unfortunate that there have been, again, over a hundred
*regresssions from GCC 3.0* during GCC 3.1 development.

Please try to invest in infrastructure improvements that make it harder
to break the compiler.  Switching to GC is an example of this: it made
it harder to have memory errors.  Richard's verify_live_at_start stuff
is similar: it made it harder to have buggy optimizations.  The more
robust we can make our infrastructure the easier it will make it to move
forward with the new features and optimizations that everyone finds most
exciting.

* Re: GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-03 23:20 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2002-04-03 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:01:34PM -0800, Joe Buck wrote:
> > > 4260 -- Is it HPUX?  Is it libtool?  Is it libstdc++?  Is it collect2?
> >
> > No idea.  But is this issue even relevant for the 3.1 release, where minor
> > ABI breakage is *planned*?  (to fix some ABI conformance bugs).  If not,
> > then it's not a blocker for the release.
>
> That's my opinion also, but I'm not a HPUX user.

I'd scratch HPUX and libstdc++ from the above list based on the analysis
that I have done.

It's not a blocker for the release since since the library internal name
and global constructor names are changing.  However, a solution needs to
be found if and when a minor release occurs that changes these names
incompatibly.

Dave

* Re: GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-03  2:38 Reichelt
From: Reichelt @ 2002-04-03  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark, gcc

Hello,

Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Now that Richard has made GNATS immune to random new bugs being classified
> as "high" priority, it makes sense to go back to using high-priority bugs
> in GNATS -- rather than an external issuse list -- as our way to measure
> what needs to be done before the release.
>
> To that end, I've made sure that everything on the issues list is marked
> "high" in GNATS, and checked in a new copy of the issues list that
> indicates it is no longer in use.
>
> Now we need to weed out any not-really-high-priority bugs in GNATS, and
> fix what's there.

Last month I posted a list with several regressions from gcc 3.0.x and 2.95.x,
see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-03/msg00387.html

For some reason however, the bugs never made it to the 3.1-issues list.
Maybe it would be a good idea to mark some of them "high priority" in GNATS
(at least those that are not ice-on-illegal-code).

A slightly updated list for your convenience:

* Regressions from 3.0.4:
5078      ice-on-legal-code
5565      ice-on-illegal-code
5656      ice-on-illegal-code
5657      ice-on-illegal-code
5666      ice-on-illegal-code
5921      ice-on-illegal-code (wasn't included in the original list -
                               might be worth a "high priority" mark although
                               it is an ice-on-illegal-code, see
                               http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-03/msg00449.html
                               for more information)

* Regressions from 2.95.3 that haven't been fixed in 3.0.x and are
  still present in the 3.1 branch:
4934      ice-on-legal-code
4954/5052 ice-on-legal-code
4979      ice-on-legal-code
5189      ice-on-legal-code
5571      ice-on-legal-code

I removed PR 4757 from the list because the bug was already present in gcc 2.95.2.

Greetings,
Volker Reichelt

* GCC 3.1 Release
@ 2002-04-02 14:38 Mark Mitchell