* Bootstrap times on mainline are getting worse
@ 2002-10-17 12:51 Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2002-10-17 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

http://people.redhat.com/dnovillo/spec95/gcc/gcc-stats.html

Bootstrap times have been creeping up lately.  Today's mainline
is 10% slower to bootstrap C and Fortran than a month ago.
The biggest increase in bootstrap times seems to have come after
Oct05.

Diego.

* Re: Bootstrap times on mainline are getting worse
@ 2002-10-17 17:10 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-10-17 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo, neil; +Cc: gcc

>>This is truly depressing.  There seems to be nothing we can do
to prevent it.

At the very least,we could measure the bootstrap performance impact of
each patch.

I must say the cumulative difference is quite noticeable. I am switching
from using OS/2, GCC 2.8.1 on a 300MHz P3, to XP, GCC 3.2, 1.3 GHz P3,
and the compilation time is about the same, yes there are other variables
(OS/2 is definitely a lot more efficient than XP), but still a significant
difference.

* Re: Bootstrap times on mainline are getting worse
@ 2002-10-19 13:51 Roger Sayle
From: Roger Sayle @ 2002-10-19 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pop Sebastian; +Cc: Diego Novillo, gcc

Hi Pop,
> > +2002-10-04  Roger Sayle  <roger@eyesopen.com>
> > +
> > +       * config/i386/i386.h (processor_costs): Add new fields fadd,
> > +       fmul, fdiv, fabs, fchs and fsqrt to costs structure.
> > +       (RTX_COSTS): Use these fields to determine the RTX costs
> > +       of floating point addition/subtraction, multiplication,
> > +       division, fabs, negation and square root respectively.
> > +       * config/i386/i386.c (size_cost): Provide instruction sizes
> > +       for these new fields.
> > +       (i386_cost, i486_cost, pentium_cost, pentiumpro_cost,
> > +       k6_cost, athlon_cost, pentium4_cost): Provide typical cycle
> > +       counts for these new fields for all x86 processor variants.
> > +
> >
> A 'time make bootstrap' on version "2002-10-03" gives:
>
> real    57m38.632s
> user    51m20.200s
> sys     4m55.500s
>
> With this patch I get:
>
> real    58m16.766s
> user    51m14.720s
> sys     5m0.850s

Thanks for ruling out this patch as the cause of the performance
regression.  It reduces the CPU time by 6 seconds, and the change
in wall clock times, 3496 seconds vs. 3458 seconds, is 1% and far
less than the 6% regression we're looking for.  I'm guessing both
these timings are within the natural fluctuation (I won't take
credit for the 6s :)

I initially misread your posting as implying this patch was to
blame, and spent several minutes trying to work out how calling
FLOAT_TYPE_P (GET_MODE (X)) on a critical path would cause a
four minute slow down in bootstrap times.  GCC doesn't use host
floating point, so I came to the obvious conclussion that
RTX_COSTS must account for >5% of GCC's CPU time, but just
doesn't show up in profile.  Swift reality check and "Reductio
ad absurdum".

Many thanks for investigating this.  One down, a few more to go.

Roger

* Re: Bootstrap times on mainline are getting worse
@ 2002-10-19 14:51 Roger Sayle
From: Roger Sayle @ 2002-10-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches, Diego Novillo

Hi Zack,

> > A 'time make bootstrap' on version "2002-10-03" gives:
> >
> > real    57m38.632s
> > user    51m20.200s
> > sys     4m55.500s
> >
> > With this patch I get:
> >
> > real    58m16.766s
> > user    51m14.720s
> > sys     5m0.850s
>
> I smell cache blowout.  Notice how the real and system times went up,
> but the user time went down?

I think that you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.  As I've
mentioned in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-10/msg01183.html, we're
still looking for a 6% (approx 4 minute slow-down) around October 5th.

Total process times above, 56m:15.7 before and 56m:15.5 after showed
that this patch itself had virtually no effect.  The minor difference
in wall clock times can easily be explained by attributed to other
processes running on the same machine.

Also be carefull about changing these RTX costs to unsigned char.
Pentium4 already has integer division costs at around 120, and
improvements in superscalar issue vs memory latency could easily
push values above 256 on x86 within only a year or so.  Just look
at the curves for i386, i486, pentium, pentiumpro, pentium4....

Roger