* make prefix=xxx install no longer working on main line
@ 2004-04-27 11:03 Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2004-04-27 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc

It is no longer possible to do a

make prefix=xxx install

where xxx is different from the prefix used when configuring GCC.

I suspect this is due to the following change:

2004-04-26  Paolo Bonzini  <bonzini@gnu.org>

	* Makefile.def (flags_to_pass): Remove *dir variables that
	are passed to the modules via TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS,
	as well as prefix and exec_prefix.
	* Makefile.in: Regenerate.

Paolo, could you investigate ? Thanks.

Arno

* Re: make prefix=xxx install no longer working on main line
@ 2004-04-27 13:17 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-27 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc

> Paolo, could you investigate ? Thanks.

The toplevel makefile sets MAKEOVERRIDES, so prefix is not passed in the
subdirectory makefiles.  Nathanael must have forgot that in its review.
I'm reverting the patch.

Paolo

* Re: make prefix=xxx install no longer working on main line
@ 2004-04-27 13:39   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaud Charlet; +Cc: gcc

@ 2004-04-27 14:03 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-04-27 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaud Charlet; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, gcc

Arnaud Charlet <charlet@ACT-Europe.FR> writes:

> It is no longer possible to do a
>
> make prefix=xxx install
>
> where xxx is different from the prefix used when configuring GCC.
>
> I suspect this is due to the following change:
>
> 2004-04-26  Paolo Bonzini  <bonzini@gnu.org>
>
> 	* Makefile.def (flags_to_pass): Remove *dir variables that
> 	are passed to the modules via TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS,
> 	as well as prefix and exec_prefix.
> 	* Makefile.in: Regenerate.
>
> Paolo, could you investigate ? Thanks.

The toplevel makefile explicitly empties MAKEOVERRIDES which normally
contains the variable assignments from the command line and is implicitly
passed down to submakes.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany