David Edelsohn writes: |> >>>>> Richard Henderson writes: |> |> Richard> You havn't shown (or even provided guesstemates) how much temporal |> Richard> or spacial locallity could be had by moving away from GC. Exactly |> Richard> how much garbage is created during compilation of a function, Dave? |> |> Richard> Suppose we did do manual memory allocation and never created any |> Richard> garbage whatsoever. Suppose perfect temporal locality. How much |> Richard> spacial locality do we have, considering the pointer-chasing structure |> Richard> of our IL? My guess is not much. |> |> Places where GCC could benefit from spacial locality is by |> allocating the instruction list and pseudo registers from a large, static |> virtual memory array instead of allocating individual objects dynamically. Obstacks? Andreas. -- Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, schwab@suse.de SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5 "And now for something completely different."