* gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-01 21:20 The Red Fox
From: The Red Fox @ 1998-02-01 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I was wondering if gdb version 4.16 will work fully with object code
produed by egcs.

I have a situation where there is a static library compiled with egcs
using the -g flag. This library is then linked with an executable.
When debugging the executable, the debugger produces 'incomplete type'
for types defined in the library but not for types defined in the object
files that make up the executable itself.

Does ld need any special flags to make this work?

Ta,
Ben

|\\ + //   Ben Ross                                \\ ^ //|
| \- -/    ben@proximity.com.au                     \` '/ |
|  \|/     http://www.proximity.com.au/~ben/         \~/  |
+---+-------------------------------------------------+---+

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-01 22:10 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-01 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Red Fox; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.LNX.3.95.980202161536.23866B-100000@mantis.proximity.com.au >
you write:

  > I was wondering if gdb version 4.16 will work fully with object code
  > produed by egcs.
  >
  > I have a situation where there is a static library compiled with egcs
  > using the -g flag. This library is then linked with an executable.
  > When debugging the executable, the debugger produces 'incomplete type'
  > for types defined in the library but not for types defined in the object
  > files that make up the executable itself.
  >
  > Does ld need any special flags to make this work?
Depends on your target.

gdb-4.16 doesn't understand dwarf2, which egcs now uses on some
systems.  gdb-4.17 will understand dwarf2.

jeff

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-02 10:32   ` David Greene
From: David Greene @ 1998-02-02 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> gdb-4.16 doesn't understand dwarf2, which egcs now uses on some
> systems.  gdb-4.17 will understand dwarf2.

dwarf2 is the default under Linux, correct?  Any word on when
gdb-4.17 will be ready?  I'm just now about to start the
debugging phase of a project, and am wondering if I ought to
go ahead and rebuild egcs to use some other format, or just wait
for gdb-4.17.

                                   -Dave

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-02 10:32     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-02 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greened; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.LNX.3.96.980202100041.25887D-100000@drakh.eecs.umich.edu >you
 write:
  > dwarf2 is the default under Linux, correct?
stabs is the default for Linux.

  > Any word on when gdb-4.17 will be ready?
Soon.  I think they're in beta testing right now.

jeff

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-02 15:13   ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 1998-02-02 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

greened@eecs.umich.edu (David Greene) writes:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>
> > gdb-4.16 doesn't understand dwarf2, which egcs now uses on some
> > systems.  gdb-4.17 will understand dwarf2.
>
> dwarf2 is the default under Linux, correct?

There might be some Linux where they made that the default, but I'd
be surprised.

> Any word on when
> gdb-4.17 will be ready?  I'm just now about to start the
> debugging phase of a project, and am wondering if I ought to
> go ahead and rebuild egcs to use some other format, or just wait
> for gdb-4.17.

We're supposed to branch the sources today.  (No, wait, I still have
one more checkin to do! :-) )  There will be snapshots for the adventurous,
and the release should be within a couple weeks, if pre-release testing
goes OK.

							Stan Shebs
							Cygnus Solutions
							shebs@cygnus.com

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-02 21:49     ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1998-02-02 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: egcs

> > Any word on when
> > gdb-4.17 will be ready?  I'm just now about to start the
> > debugging phase of a project, and am wondering if I ought to
> > go ahead and rebuild egcs to use some other format, or just wait
> > for gdb-4.17.
>
> We're supposed to branch the sources today.  (No, wait, I still have
> one more checkin to do! :-) )  There will be snapshots for the adventurous,
> and the release should be within a couple weeks, if pre-release testing
> goes OK.

Will it support Linux/Alpha, which 980122 gdb doesn't?

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-03  0:10       ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1998-02-03  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: Stan Shebs, egcs

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 07:59:10PM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
> Will it support Linux/Alpha, which 980122 gdb doesn't?

That code was checked in today.

r~

* Re: gdb works with egcs?
@ 1998-02-03  1:16       ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1998-02-03  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: Stan Shebs, egcs

At 19:59 02.02.98 -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:

>> > Any word on when
>> > gdb-4.17 will be ready?  I'm just now about to start the
>> > debugging phase of a project, and am wondering if I ought to
>> > go ahead and rebuild egcs to use some other format, or just wait
>> > for gdb-4.17.
>>
>> We're supposed to branch the sources today.  (No, wait, I still have
>> one more checkin to do! :-) )  There will be snapshots for the adventurous,
>> and the release should be within a couple weeks, if pre-release testing
>> goes OK.
>>

>Will it support Linux/Alpha, which 980122 gdb doesn't?

And Linux/PPC (glibc-2.0.91)? For core files I get "Can't fetch registers"
and executables can't be run.

Bye,
Franz.