* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-16 11:32 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-16 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc

    | Robert and I have very different usage patterns (he uses a laptop and I
    | use different computers in different places), so his solution won't work
    | for me.

    So, you think it is better to inconvenient other people?

I don't follow.  It's not a matter of inconvenience: the solution
Robert uses *depends* on his using only one machine.  It *can't* work
for me since I don't do that.

    | What I want to do is add "References" support to the mailer I use, but
    | haven't been able to find the sources to start with.

    Zack had provided many links and suggestions in the past.

I don't remember who it was, but somebody did point to a mailer called
"nail".  Unfortunately, I couldn't even get it to compile on my machine, so I
couldn't see if it was suitable or not.  Starting from what I have and adding
what's needed is 100% safe, so that's my plan.  I had the sources, but they
were in a CD of a machine that got stolen before I was able to read them, so
I couldn't use them.  I haven't been able to find them (/usr/ucb/mail sources
for SunOs 4.1.4) again.  If anybody has them, as I said, I'd greatly
appreciate it.

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-17  1:33 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-17  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rearnsha; +Cc: gcc

    You would probably find the original 4.3bsd sources here, if you are
    willing to fork out the $99..

    http://www.mckusick.com/csrg/

Thanks.  I ordered it.  I'm pretty sure the SunOS sources aren't exactly
the same as the 4.3bsd mailer sources, but I think the only differences
has to do with the graphical mailer, which I no longer use.

So hopefully I should be set up by the end of the month (it sounds like
I should get the CDs in around a week).

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-16 14:48 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-16 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dberlin; +Cc: gcc

    What exactly is the build problem you are running into?

It was a few months ago.  Each version had a different problem.  Mostly
missing macros.a

    nail is derived from berkeley mail, so it shouldn't be too unportable.

I know.  That's what I thought and SunOS 4.1.4 is pretty much a vanilla
4.3bsd, so I was quite surprised.

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-16 13:31 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-16 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc

    So, what is *so unique* to you and your settings that, with all machines
    and OSes you're using you cannot manage to have one of them use a MUA
    that sets references?

I didn't say I can't, I just said that *Robert's* solution won't work for me
since it depends on using a laptop everywhere.  I only have terminal
emulators on the machines I'm sitting in front of and use a text-based
mailer on this system from everywhere

Indeed, I know I *can* find an MUA that'll work fine by modifying this one:
it's just a matter of getting the sources so I can do that work.  We had them,
but, as I said, the CD was in a machine that was stolen.  So they need to
be found again.  I keep looking, but if anybody else has them, it'll save
me time.  I expect it to be a few hours work to make the change once I
locate them.

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-16 11:54 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-16 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: gcc

    > Does anybody have sources for /usr/ucb/mail for SunOS 4.1.4 ...

    http://nail.sourceforge.net/

I'm sorry, but I can't find the 4.1.4 sources there.  That seems to just
contain sources for a different program called "nail".  Somebody else
suggested I try to use it, but every version I tried to compile wouldn't even
build on my machine, so I couldn't even start to look and see if it would
work for me.

I'm perfectly willing to modify my mailer to add "In-Reply-To" (I accidentally
said "References" in my last message), but I need the sources to start with.
Does that site have them?

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-16  3:11 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-16  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc

    I would think it would be easier if Richar Kenner accepted to use a
    MUA that does not break things.  Even Robert Dewar eventually swicthed
    to something helpful.

Robert and I have very different usage patterns (he uses a laptop and I
use different computers in different places), so his solution won't work
for me.

What I want to do is add "References" support to the mailer I use, but
haven't been able to find the sources to start with.

Does anybody have sources for /usr/ucb/mail for SunOS 4.1.4 (or similar
version)?

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-07 20:41 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo; +Cc: gcc

    Give me a test case and a way to reproduce it.  Otherwise, I can't help
    you.

After building a gnat1 and setting up a library directory (make gnatlib
and let it blow up), do:

	./gnat1 -Iada/rts -O2 -gnatpg ada/rts/g-exctra.adb

* Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-07 15:24 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo; +Cc: gcc

    I would need a test case.

The test case is the Ada library file I mentioned.  It happens to be a *very*
small file.

    Do you have a variable that is a GIMPLE reg and at the same time
    belongs to an alias set or its address is taken?

Yes.  See my later message.

* Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling
@ 2004-09-07 11:45 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-09-07 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo, rth; +Cc: gcc

I sent http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-09/msg00189.html on Saturday because
the breakage also happened on Friday.  I've done more work here, which has left
me more confused.  See also http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-09/msg00196.html

The issue is the adding of virtual operands for a call.  It uses alias
information to do that and adds the operand with:

        tree var = referenced_var (i);

        add_stmt_operand (&var, ...);

As I said originally, this puts a pointer into the stack of that function
into the operands of the statement.  That causes an access of junk when
the operands are referenced.

I tried fixing that with:

	tree *var_p = &referenced_var (i);
	add_stmt_operand (var_p, stmt, opf_is_def);

That now references defined memory.  But it has the problem that we then
try to put an SSA_NAME into referenced_vars, which is wrong.

Moreover, we get a verification error:

g-exctra.adb: In function `GNAT.EXCEPTION_TRACES.DECORATOR_WRAPPER':
g-exctra.adb:69: error: Found a virtual definition for a GIMPLE register
while verifying SSA_NAME decorator_traceback_35 in statement
#   gnat__exception_traces__current_decorator<D449>_29 = V_MAY_DEF <gnat__except
ion_traces__current_decorator<D449>_18>;
#   T.9<D466>_34 = V_MAY_DEF <T.9<D466>_23>;
#   decorator_traceback<D456>_35 = V_MAY_DEF <decorator_traceback<D456>_17>;
#   T.11<D468>_30 = V_MAY_DEF <T.11<D468>_28>;
#   VUSE <T.8<D465>_27>;
T.11<D468> = gnat__exception_traces__current_decorator.7_19 (T.8<D465>);

This is confusing because an example in doc/tree-ssa.texi implies this sort
of thing is valid.

I disabled that check and "fixed" the clobbering of referenced_vars by trying

		tree *var_p = (tree *) ggc_alloc (sizeof (tree *));

		*var_p = referenced_var (i);
		add_stmt_operand (var_p, stmt, opf_is_def);

Now I get another check failure, saying that a variable appears both as a
real and virtual operand.  When I disable *that* check, I finally get
the Ada RTS to compile, but I get new ACATS failures (possibly related, but
maybe not).

But I shouldn't have to put in that kludge and disable both checks.

Something looks very badly wrong here but I don't understand how this is
supposed to work, so can't say what.