* Re: GCC still getting a lot slower
@ 2002-12-31 14:11 Nathanael Nerode
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2002-12-31 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Diego Novillo wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Paolo Carlini wrote:
>
>> Neil Booth wrote:
>>
>> >Any idea what killed GCC bootstrap time in Mid-Dec?
>> >
>> Wild guess
>>
>>    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2002-12/msg00481.html
>>
>>Very likely.  Bootstrap times for C and Fortran went from 2,000
>secs on 2002-12-16 to 2,500 secs on 2002-12-17 (25% slowdown).
>
>http://people.redhat.com/dnovillo/spec95/gcc/gcc-stats.html

Frankly, I don't think we should look at bootstrap time.  A number of
the largest changes in B-I-B were necessary build process changes, which
are quite likely to slow down the build *of* the compiler, but not the
performance of the compiler.  Or, in other words, "so what?". ;-)

Can we test compile time change of some *fixed* piece of code, perhaps?

--Nathanael

[parent not found: <1041382480.23232.35.camel@steven>]
* Re: GCC still getting a lot slower
@ 2002-12-31 23:01 Ritzert
From: Ritzert @ 2002-12-31 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: neroden

Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Can we test compile time change of some *fixed* piece of code,
perhaps?

Have a look at http://www.globe-tec.de/~ritzert/STLport.png . The plot
shows the time it takes to compile STLport on a Pentium II 400. The raw
data is at
http://www.globe-tec.de/~ritzert/STLport.times .

The latest jump is here:
16/12/2002 1901.45
17/12/2002 1981.24
a 4.2% increase.

Happy new year everyone!
Michael

* Re: GCC still getting a lot slower
@ 2002-12-31 16:14 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2002-12-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Paul Jarc said:
>Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> Frankly, I don't think we should look at bootstrap time.  A number of
>> the largest changes in B-I-B were necessary build process changes,  which
>> are quite likely to slow down the build *of* the compiler, but not the
>> performance of the compiler.  Or, in other words, "so what?". ;-)
>
>As someone else noted a while ago, bootstrap times are important
>because changes are tested by bootstrapping.  So slow bootstraps slow
>down all other progress.
Yeah.  But when I said 'necessary', I meant it; these changes have been
on the TODO list forever, and they're correctness issues.

>> Can we test compile time change of some *fixed* piece of code,
>>perhaps?
>
>That would also be useful, in its own way.

If on the other hand the bootstrap slowdown is due to changes in the way
the compiler works -- which would be evidenced by compile time change in
a fixed piece of code -- then it's likely to be a bad change which we
*can* track down and fix by binary search on the b-i-b branch.  The
changes made in this regard on B-I-B were fewer, smaller, and less invasive.

For instance, the change to every single C file on the tree was a
build-process change which shouldn't have affected compiler behavior.
(If it did, that's another matter.)

--Nathanael

* GCC still getting a lot slower
@ 2002-12-31 13:44 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2002-12-31 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: gcc

Any idea what killed GCC bootstrap time in Mid-Dec?  This really must
stop happening; we're out of control.

http://www.suse.de/~aj/SPEC/CINT/d-permanent/times.html

Neil.