* Off Topic - COBOL Compiler
       [not found] <m2vhglioys.fsf@blinky.bfr.co.il>
@ 1999-03-01  0:59 ` Alexander L. Belikoff
       [not found]   ` < m37lt1ziui.fsf@vermis.bfr.co.il >
From: Alexander L. Belikoff @ 1999-03-01  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Essex; +Cc: egcs

> I know this list is not really the place for this, but I would like to know
> if there is any real interest in developing this project.
>
> I would be interested in developing a free(GPL) COBOL compiler.

Good idea. :-) It crossed my mind about a half a year ago...

> Are there any individuals/companies/organizations interested in this
> project ?
>
> Are there any individuals/companies/organizations interested in donating
> source code for this project ? For example a COBOL parser(wishful thinking
> I think).
>
> Here is a brief outline:
> - A front end compiler based on GCC(EGCS ?). Something like the GNU Pascal.
> - COBOL-85 ISO/ANSI standard. No Object COBOL.

Here is the catch - a COBOL compiler to binary code wouldn't be as
useful as a COBOL->C compiler. Many companies using COBOL code do that
because they cannot afford to rewrite it in a better language. That's
where COBOL->C would come handy.

I'm dragging through the development of a COBOL->C compiler that
would:

1. Generate *correct* C code that'd work exactly the same way, the old
   code did.

2. Produce sufficiently clear code to allow people to use the
   resulting C code independently.

It all started as an attempt to apply some Lex/Yacc knowledge I had
acquired from the O'Reilly book. The idea was to make a compiler that
would correctly translate all examples from the 'COBOL for Dummies'
book. Currently, the project is in the phase of stagnation - both
because I'm tight in time and because I'm a bit confused about the
parser generator - looks like COBOL doesn't go along (at least easily)
with Lex/Yacc. PCCTS could've been an option, yet it is way less
popular than Lex/Yacc.

Finally, the project is developed under GPL and will be donated to FSF
to become part of the GNU system once it gets more or less usable.

If you think about developing something similar, let's consider
joining our efforts...

Cheers,

--
Alexander L. Belikoff
Bloomberg L.P. / BFM Financial Research Ltd.

* Re: Off Topic - COBOL Compiler
       [not found]   ` < m37lt1ziui.fsf@vermis.bfr.co.il >
@ 1999-03-01  8:22     ` David Wollmann
From: David Wollmann @ 1999-03-01  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander L. Belikoff; +Cc: David Essex, egcs

On 1 Mar 1999, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:

> > I know this list is not really the place for this, but I would like to know
> > if there is any real interest in developing this project.
[snip]

> If you think about developing something similar, let's consider
> joining our efforts...

In a similar vein, there is already an RPG II/III/IV project underway,
Eraserhead RPG. You might want to check in with them and compare notes. I don't
have the URL for their homepage handy, but you can find it on freshmeat. They
have a devel mailing list:

Send an email to: Majordomo@lists.linux-users.org

subscribe rpg-devel (in msg. body)

--
David Wollmann
DST / DST Data Conversion

ICQ: 10742063

* Re: Off Topic - COBOL Compiler
@ 1999-03-31 23:46       ` David Wollmann
From: David Wollmann @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander L. Belikoff; +Cc: David Essex, egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46   ` Alexander L. Belikoff
From: Alexander L. Belikoff @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Essex; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` David Essex
From: David Essex @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Alexander L. Belikoff

Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
>I'm dragging through the development of a COBOL->C compiler ...
>If you think about developing something similar, let's consider
>joining our efforts...
There is a project called CobCy(1) which is a COBOL->C translating
compiler. It as about 40-50% of the syntax working. It uses flex/bison and
is been developed under GPL. Unfortunately development has stopped.

As for joining our efforts, yes I think that would be a good idea. The
parser stage would the place where both projects have commonality, thus
would be a good place to start.

David

1) Project CobCy
   http://www.netsis.it/~asantini/cobcy/

* Re: Off Topic - COBOL Compiler
@ 1999-03-01 12:53 David Essex
From: David Essex @ 1999-03-01 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Alexander L. Belikoff

@ 1999-02-28 22:53 ` David Essex
From: David Essex @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi All,

I know this list is not really the place for this, but I would like to know
if there is any real interest in developing this project.

I would be interested in developing a free(GPL) COBOL compiler.

Are there any individuals/companies/organizations interested in this project ?

Are there any individuals/companies/organizations interested in donating
source code for this project ? For example a COBOL parser(wishful thinking
I think).

Here is a brief outline:
- A front end compiler based on GCC(EGCS ?). Something like the GNU Pascal.
- COBOL-85 ISO/ANSI standard. No Object COBOL.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated. NO RANTS Please.

David

* Off Topic - COBOL Compiler
@ 1999-02-28 21:13 David Essex