* How to turn off NRVO in gcc
@ 2007-11-07 14:17 Debarshi Sanyal
From: Debarshi Sanyal @ 2007-11-07 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

   Is there any way to turn off "named return value optimization"
(NRVO) while compiling a C++ program with g++?
 Please reply. This is very urgent.

 Regards,
 Debarshi

* Re: How to turn off NRVO in gcc
@ 2007-11-07 16:16 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-11-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debarshi Sanyal; +Cc: gcc

"Debarshi Sanyal" <debarshisanyal@gmail.com> writes:

>    Is there any way to turn off "named return value optimization"
> (NRVO) while compiling a C++ program with g++?

This question is not appropriate for gcc@gcc.gnu.org, which is for
developers of gcc.  It is appropriate for gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.
Please take any followups to that mailing list.  Thanks.

The answer to your question is no.  g++ will always implement NRVO
when possible.

Ian

* Re: How to turn off NRVO in gcc
@ 2007-11-07 16:40   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2007-11-07 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Debarshi Sanyal, gcc

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:48:53AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Debarshi Sanyal" <debarshisanyal@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >    Is there any way to turn off "named return value optimization"
> > (NRVO) while compiling a C++ program with g++?
>
> This question is not appropriate for gcc@gcc.gnu.org, which is for
> developers of gcc.  It is appropriate for gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.
> Please take any followups to that mailing list.  Thanks.
>
> The answer to your question is no.  g++ will always implement NRVO
> when possible.

You forgot about -fno-elide-constructors , Ian.  I've needed it in
the past to work around a bug in profiling; there's a PR for this.

* Re: How to turn off NRVO in gcc
@ 2007-11-07 16:41     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-11-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Debarshi Sanyal, gcc

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:48:53AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > "Debarshi Sanyal" <debarshisanyal@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > >    Is there any way to turn off "named return value optimization"
> > > (NRVO) while compiling a C++ program with g++?
> >
> > This question is not appropriate for gcc@gcc.gnu.org, which is for
> > developers of gcc.  It is appropriate for gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.
> > Please take any followups to that mailing list.  Thanks.
> >
> > The answer to your question is no.  g++ will always implement NRVO
> > when possible.
>
> You forgot about -fno-elide-constructors , Ian.  I've needed it in
> the past to work around a bug in profiling; there's a PR for this.

Ah, tricky.  Thanks.

Ian