* Prerelease of GCC-3.3.5 available for testing
@ 2004-09-14 15:32 Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-09-14 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

  Tarballs for GCC-3.3.5 prerelease are available on the usual server

        ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/prerelease-3.3.5-20040914/

for download and testing.

Please, report any problems by filling proper GCC bugzilla PRs

        http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla

and put me on the CC: field.

Thanks,

-- Gaby

* Re: Prerelease of GCC-3.3.5 available for testing
@ 2004-09-16  0:00 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: gcc

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>   Tarballs for GCC-3.3.5 prerelease are available on the usual server

I realize it is a bit late for this.  If it is too late for gcc-3.3.5
that is OK.  I can re-propose this for gcc-3.3.6.

I have a patch to fix an IA-64 linux kernel miscompilation problem.
This is PR 17455.  I've added the patch to the gcc-3.4 branch and
mainline already.  This isn't a regression, but it is fairly serious as
it is a linux kernel miscompile.  The problem can be worked around by
compiling the kernel with -fno-optimize-sibcalls.  The patch is pretty
safe, as it only affects kernel functions with the syscall_linkage
attribute, and all it does is disable sibcall optimizations for those
functions.

I haven't yet tested the patch with gcc-3.3.x.  I am starting that
testing now.

* Re: Prerelease of GCC-3.3.5 available for testing
@ 2004-09-16  1:30   ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-09-16  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E Wilson; +Cc: gcc

James E Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| >   Tarballs for GCC-3.3.5 prerelease are available on the usual server
|
| I realize it is a bit late for this.  If it is too late for gcc-3.3.5
| that is OK.  I can re-propose this for gcc-3.3.6.
|
| I have a patch to fix an IA-64 linux kernel miscompilation
| problem. This is PR 17455.  I've added the patch to the gcc-3.4 branch
| and mainline already.  This isn't a regression, but it is fairly
| serious as it is a linux kernel miscompile.  The problem can be worked
| around by compiling the kernel with -fno-optimize-sibcalls.  The patch
| is pretty safe, as it only affects kernel functions with the
| syscall_linkage attribute, and all it does is disable sibcall
| optimizations for those functions.
|
| I haven't yet tested the patch with gcc-3.3.x.  I am starting that
| testing now.

Let me know how testing goes; I'll then make another prerelease by the
end of the week, so people can test.

Thanks for looking into this.

@ 2004-09-17  2:24     ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-17  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 17:26, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Let me know how testing goes; I'll then make another prerelease by the
> end of the week, so people can test.

I've done gcc-3.3.x bootstraps and make check with and without the patch
for PR 17455, and there were no regressions.

* Re: Prerelease of GCC-3.3.5 available for testing
@ 2004-09-17  2:42       ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-09-17  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E Wilson; +Cc: gcc

James E Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> writes:

| On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 17:26, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Let me know how testing goes; I'll then make another prerelease by the
| > end of the week, so people can test.
|
| I've done gcc-3.3.x bootstraps and make check with and without the patch
| for PR 17455, and there were no regressions.

Thanks for the update.
Please check it in.

Thanks,

-- Gaby