* Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2004-11-13 18:39 Volker Reichelt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2004-11-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc

Hi Gaby,

what's up with the 3.3.5 release?

We've had several mails asking about the incomplete state of the 3.3.5
release:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-10/msg00682.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-11/msg00064.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-11/msg00176.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-11/msg00193.html

But nothing has changed so far.
We also have patches for serious bug (wrong-code, ice-on-valid-code)
that should go into a future 3.3.6 relase, but the branch is still frozen.

I just went through releasing.html and half of the steps still
have to be done for the 3.3.5 release:

>   5.Upload the release to ftp.gnu.org.
GCC 3.3.3 is missing, too.

>   8.Update the releases.html and develop.html web pages.
Only releases.html is incomplete.

>   9.Update the version numbers of the current and future releases on the main web page, and add a proper news item there as
>     well.
>  10.Add the release tag to the list in cvs.html (the branch tag should already be there).

>  12.Generate online documentation for the new release with update_web_docs. The appropriate command to run (as
>     gccadmin) to generate the documentation would be scripts/update_web_docs -rgcc_3_0_2_release
>     -dgcc-3.0.2 (with the current version number inserted). Link to it from onlinedocs/index.html (but don't
>     break URLs to documentation for previous releases even if you remove the links to it).

>  13.Update the main web page (index.html).
This is covered under 9., I guess.

>         Make sure that most mirrors have retrieved the new release already.
>         In the case of a major release, coordinate announcements with the FSF.
GCC 3.3.4 is missing as well.

>  15.Increment the version number in gcc/version.c, and put back the date stamp and (prerelease) annotation. Increment
>     the version number in doc/include/gcc-common.texi.
>  16.Notify developers that checkins to the branch are once again allowed.

>  20.Update the email parsing script to handle bugs against the new versions. The script is in CVS at
>     wwwdocs/bugzilla/contrib/bug_email.pl. Search for an existing version (like "3.3"), and update both places
>     it occurs to handle the new version through copy and paste.
GCC 3.2.3 is missing, too.

If you need help to complete the release, please say so, some tasks
could be performed by volunteers. But *please* do not leave release
and branch in such a dangling state. This is annoying users and developers.

Regards,
Volker

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2004-11-14  0:07 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-11-14  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Volker Reichelt wrote:

| Hi Gaby,
|
| what's up with the 3.3.5 release?

Hi, I have been travelling right now and will address your mail tomorrow.

--
                                                        Gabriel Dos Reis
                                                         gdr@cs.tamu.edu

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2004-11-15 16:08 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-11-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt; +Cc: gcc

Volker Reichelt <reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

| Hi Gaby,
|
| what's up with the 3.3.5 release?

It is not officially released -- there are uploads on gcc.gnu.org, but
not on the other server; there will be no difference between that and
the official release. The branch is still frozen -- but will get
unfrozen this week.  Due to unplanned events, I'll slip 3.3.6 release
by a month -- i.e. it won't be on December 31 2004 as planned, but January
31 2005.

Thanks,

-- Gaby

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-17  1:08 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2005-01-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Volker Reichelt, gcc

Gaby,

I believe I saw you upload the tars for 3.3.5 to ftp.gnu.org last week;
what's the status of the various GCC 3.3.x releases and the documentation
and announcements thereof?

GCC 3.3.3 still is missing from ftp.gnu.org, and I'm not sure about the
other issues Volker raised. :-(

@ 2005-01-17  2:20   ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-17  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

| Gaby,
|
| I believe I saw you upload the tars for 3.3.5 to ftp.gnu.org last week;

yes, after the keyring was updated, ftp-load.gnu.org went off (I believe
you got copies of the mails)

| what's the status of the various GCC 3.3.x releases and the documentation
| and announcements thereof?

I think only the release note is missing (I had some discussion with Joe
about that; I don't know what his final position is).

| GCC 3.3.3 still is missing from ftp.gnu.org, and I'm not sure about the
| other issues Volker raised. :-(

I think GCC-3.3.3 has been on ftp.gnu.org since its official release.
(It was the first time FSF was asking us to follow the current procedure,
and I distincly remember it took several people effort to get the source
uploaded there, Mark, Joe and I think you :-))

Thanks,

-- Gaby

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-17  2:45   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-01-17  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis, Volker Reichelt, gcc

Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:

> I believe I saw you upload the tars for 3.3.5 to ftp.gnu.org last week;
> what's the status of the various GCC 3.3.x releases and the documentation
> and announcements thereof?
>
> GCC 3.3.3 still is missing from ftp.gnu.org, and I'm not sure about the
> other issues Volker raised. :-(

gcc 3.3.3 is there, it's just not in the right place.  It's in
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3.3
whereas all the other releases are in, e.g.,
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.3.4

This has been pointed out on the list several times.  I don't know who
is able to fix it.

Ian

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-17  3:16     ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-17  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

| Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:
|
| > I believe I saw you upload the tars for 3.3.5 to ftp.gnu.org last week;
| > what's the status of the various GCC 3.3.x releases and the documentation
| > and announcements thereof?
| >
| > GCC 3.3.3 still is missing from ftp.gnu.org, and I'm not sure about the
| > other issues Volker raised. :-(
|
| gcc 3.3.3 is there, it's just not in the right place.  It's in
|     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3.3
| whereas all the other releases are in, e.g.,

That is not true. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc is just unstructured.

|     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.3.4

We never set a policy about how ftp.gnu.org should be structured.

gcc.gnu.org has a clear directory structure -- releases are under releases/
ftp.gnu.org has a different looking.
The net result is that sites that mirror from ftp.gnu.org
get different result from those mirroring from gcc.gnu.org, adding
to the confusion.

I believe gcc.gnu.org is much more consistent.

We should have ftp.gnu.org mirror from gcc.gnu.org.

--

@ 2005-01-17  6:09       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-01-17  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@cs.tamu.edu> writes:

> | gcc 3.3.3 is there, it's just not in the right place.  It's in
> |     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3.3
> | whereas all the other releases are in, e.g.,
>
> That is not true. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc is just unstructured.

I think it's structured.  Every release from 2.95 on can be found in
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-RELEASE
Every release other than 3.3.3, that is.

> gcc.gnu.org has a clear directory structure -- releases are under releases/
> ftp.gnu.org has a different looking.

That is reasonable.  ftp.gnu.org holds only official GNU releases--for
all GNU programs, not just gcc.  gcc.gnu.org holds many other things.
It is reasonable for releases on gcc.gnu.org to be in a subdirectory.

Ian

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-17  7:25         ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-17  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@cs.tamu.edu> writes:
|
| > | gcc 3.3.3 is there, it's just not in the right place.  It's in
| > |     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3.3
| > | whereas all the other releases are in, e.g.,
| >
| > That is not true. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc is just unstructured.
|
| I think it's structured.

Point your browser to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc/.  You'll see that it is
unclear whether the releases should go only in directories gcc-x.y.z
or in gcc-x.y.z.tar.gz, or both or only one of them.

Now, point your browser to ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/

[...]

| It is reasonable for releases on gcc.gnu.org to be in a subdirectory.

I think you missed the point.  See above.

-- Gaby

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-17 11:16           ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-01-17 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@cs.tamu.edu> writes:

> | > That is not true. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc is just unstructured.
> |
> | I think it's structured.
>

> Point your browser to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc/.  You'll see that it is
> unclear whether the releases should go only in directories gcc-x.y.z
> or in gcc-x.y.z.tar.gz, or both or only one of them.

I agree that the absence of symlinks for the complete gcc-3.4 releases
is somewhat confusing.  For earlier releases, we consistently have the
release directory holding various subsets of the release, and the
.tar.gz file holding the complete release.  Providing the .tar.gz file
for the complete release is consistent with other GNU releases on
ftp.gnu.org.  Providing the subdirectory with subsets of release is
consistent with past gcc release practice.

Moreover, looking at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/, it is straightforward
to download any particular release--except 3.3.3.

I'm not going to claim the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc is perfect.  I agree
that we should remove the earlier symlinks for the full releases, or
add them for the gcc 3.4 series.  But I am going to continue to claim
that gcc 3.3.3 is in the wrong place.

Ian

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-17 12:25             ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-17 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@cs.tamu.edu> writes:
|
| > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
| >
| > | Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@cs.tamu.edu> writes:
| > |

| > |
| > | I think it's structured.
| >

| > Point your browser to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gcc/.  You'll see that it is
| > unclear whether the releases should go only in directories gcc-x.y.z
| > or in gcc-x.y.z.tar.gz, or both or only one of them.
|
| I agree that the absence of symlinks for the complete gcc-3.4 releases
| is somewhat confusing.  For earlier releases, we consistently have the

I don't believe the current procedure for uploading on ftp.gnu.org
has provision for making links.  One can create a file/directory.
That is all about it.  I don't think you can even remove a file/directory.

--

@ 2005-01-18  3:14         ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-01-18  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis, Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Jan 16, 2005, at 6:30 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> That is reasonable.  ftp.gnu.org holds only official GNU releases--for
> all GNU programs, not just gcc.  gcc.gnu.org holds many other things.
> It is reasonable for releases on gcc.gnu.org to be in a subdirectory.

I think on ftp.gnu.org gcc should follow the standard that all other
GNU software on that site uses.  I think that means no releases
directory.

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-18  3:35           ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-18  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, Gerald Pfeifer, Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Mike Stump wrote:

| On Jan 16, 2005, at 6:30 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
| > That is reasonable.  ftp.gnu.org holds only official GNU releases--for
| > all GNU programs, not just gcc.  gcc.gnu.org holds many other things.
| > It is reasonable for releases on gcc.gnu.org to be in a subdirectory.
|
| I think on ftp.gnu.org gcc should follow the standard that all other
| GNU software on that site uses.

That is no longer doable in the case of GCC.
To explain: the standard for other GNU software seems to be just put
their .tar.gz there.
GCC somes with a host of tar.gz and tar.bz2 per release
(we have about 32 of such files per release).
So we put them in a directory.  In  the past, there used to be a way of
putting a symlink to the "complete" .tar.gz.
The new precedure for uploading on ftp.gnu.org has no provision
for making symlinks.
So we end up with inventing "our" standard.
The GCC-3.4.x series seems just to put the directory there with no
symlinks.
In case we end up inventing something, please put it in the releasing
note.
But, I'll again add my observation that ftp.gnu.org should be mirroring
from gcc.gnu.org.

| I think that means no releases
| directory.

Having two versions of the same release GCC signed with different keys
would add to the confusion.

-- Gaby

* Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch
@ 2005-01-18 23:50             ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2005-01-18 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Mike Stump, Ian Lance Taylor, Volker Reichelt, gcc

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> But, I'll again add my observation that ftp.gnu.org should be mirroring
> from gcc.gnu.org.

Agreed, that's something we should try to address in the longer term.

For now, like Volker, I am mostly concerned about bringing the 3.3
release series back in sync.  Have you had a chance to look at the
other issues Volker described?

For example, the main page and the releases.html page still are not
up-to-date, and I believe I have not seen 3.3.5 announced yet.  It's
probably best if you could walk through the instructions in releasing.html
for at least 3.3.4 and 3.3.5 and see what might be missing.

Gerald