* --with-libs busted?
@ 2004-01-15  2:46 Daniel Kegel
From: Daniel Kegel @ 2004-01-15  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

In updating my toolchain build script to use --with-sysroot,
I had the idea to always install glibc into the sysroot whether
or not the gcc supported sysroot, and for the older gcc's,
use --with-libs and --with-headers to point to the appropriate
directories inside the sys-root.  Since the libraries in the sys-root
are split between /lib and /usr/lib, I tried using the multiple
directories feature of --with-libs.  Sadly, it appears to be broken;
gcc does indeed copy all the directories you list, but it then barfs
because it thinks the second and later directories are extra target
specifiers; I get the errors
configure: warning: /opt/blah/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-root/usr/lib: invalid host type
configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a time

Has anyone ever successfully used that feature?

I guess this is a good sign that I really shouldn't be using --with-libs even on
gcc's that don't support --with-sysroot.
- Dan

* Re: --with-libs busted?
@ 2004-01-20 23:07 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-01-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kegel; +Cc: gcc

Daniel Kegel wrote:
> directories inside the sys-root.  Since the libraries in the sys-root
> are split between /lib and /usr/lib, I tried using the multiple
> directories feature of --with-libs.

I didn't even realize --with-libs had some support for handling multiple
directories.  It seems pretty pointless to me, since it copies them all
to the same place.  You may as well combine the directories before
running configure, to make sure the result is safe.  If you want
multiple directories handled correctly, you must with --with-sysroot.

The configure error is probably a quoting problem when passing arguments
to subdirectories.  This isn't going to work unless we quote arguments
to the --with-libs option.

* Re: --with-libs busted?
@ 2004-01-20 23:18   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-01-20 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: Daniel Kegel, gcc

Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> writes:

> I didn't even realize --with-libs had some support for handling
> multiple directories.  It seems pretty pointless to me, since it
> copies them all to the same place.

It was convenient, because I invented --with-libs to build a
cross-compiler to Solaris (or maybe SunOS 4--I can't remember), and
Solaris stores important libraries in both /lib and /usr/lib.
Combining the NFS-mounted directories caused no harm.

Ian