* cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-16 20:15 Maurizio Monge
From: Maurizio Monge @ 2005-07-16 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,
sorry for bothering you, but i wasn't able to find on the web
the informations i was looking for about the cxx reflection branch
and i wasn't albe to contact the mantainer (and i don't have enough
knowlegde of gcc to deduce it from sources).

In particular i would like to know what is the current status of the
branch, as i was planning to try add to gcc some extension to
allow things like:

template <class T>
serialize(const T& t)
{
    /* code that accesses T members with some extension */
}

is anything like this supported (or planned) in the branch?
Thanks.

Best regards
Maurizio Monge

* Re: cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-16 21:18 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-07-16 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurizio Monge; +Cc: gcc

Maurizio Monge <maurizio.monge@gmail.com> writes:

| Hello,
| sorry for bothering you, but i wasn't able to find on the web
| the informations i was looking for about the cxx reflection branch
| and i wasn't albe to contact the mantainer (and i don't have enough
| knowlegde of gcc to deduce it from sources).
|
| In particular i would like to know what is the current status of the
| branch, as i was planning to try add to gcc some extension to
| allow things like:
|
| template <class T>
| serialize(const T& t)
| {
|     /* code that accesses T members with some extension */
| }
|
| is anything like this supported (or planned) in the branch?

No, I have no such plan.  (And the branch has seen no much development
recently)

-- Gaby

* Re: cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-18 12:59   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2005-07-18 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Maurizio Monge, gcc

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> No, I have no such plan.  (And the branch has seen no much development
> recently)

But you still plan on working on it later?  Do you think cvs.html
could be updated, one way or the other to reflect the current status
and plans?

Gerald

* Re: cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-18 15:25     ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-07-18 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Maurizio Monge, gcc

Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:

| On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > No, I have no such plan.  (And the branch has seen no much development
| > recently)
|
| But you still plan on working on it later?

Yes, we do.

|  Do you think cvs.html
| could be updated, one way or the other to reflect the current status
| and plans?

yes, of course :-) but first things first. GCC-3.4.5 status tonight.

-- Gaby

* Re: cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-18 18:12       ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2005-07-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Maurizio Monge, gcc

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 17:24 +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:
>
> | On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > No, I have no such plan.  (And the branch has seen no much development
> | > recently)
> |
> | But you still plan on working on it later?
>
> Yes, we do.

You should know that due to what appears to be some tag moving in
individual files, this branch is going to look weird after the SVN
conversion (it's one of three such branches where tag moving on
individual files was done).
You end up with unlabeled branches and tags, so it's hard to diff
between the tags, etc.

This is unavoidable.

If you don't plan on using it for a while, you may be better off just
taking a diff against the branchpoint exclude the branch from the
conversion (which is about a month or so away), and recreate it after
the move.

The other two branches are long dead and completely integrated, and i
was told i can simply not bother converting them.

* Re: cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-18 19:00         ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-07-18 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Maurizio Monge, gcc

Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> writes:

| If you don't plan on using it for a while, you may be better off just
| taking a diff against the branchpoint exclude the branch from the
| conversion (which is about a month or so away), and recreate it after
| the move.

I have no plan of committing any change before september.  So I guess,
I should wait after the conversion.

-- Gaby

* Re: cxx-reflection branch
@ 2005-07-23 18:39 ` Larry Evans
From: Larry Evans @ 2005-07-23 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 07/16/2005 03:14 PM, Maurizio Monge wrote:
[snip]
> the informations i was looking for about the cxx reflection branch
[snip]
> branch, as i was planning to try add to gcc some extension to
> allow things like:
>
> template <class T>
> serialize(const T& t)

Isn't boost's serialization library:

http://www.boost.org/libs/serialization/doc/index.html

suitable for your purpose?  If not, could you explain
where it fails?

TIA.

-regards,
Larry