* 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-18 10:19 Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2004-10-18 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: gcc

Hi Gaby,

It appears that the status of the latest two releases off the 3.3 branch is a
bit uncertain: 3.3.4 is mentioned on the main page but not on the 3.3 pages
(http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3 and http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3/changes.html) and
3.3.5 is not even mentioned on the main page.

Moreover, the version number on the CVS branch has been stuck to 3.3.5 since
the release, which means reporting testsuite results is useless there.

Some of us are still spending/willing to spend time and cycles to make sure
the 3.3 branch is extremely stable at this point.  However, these resources
could be equally well spent on other branches.

Could you please fix the aforementioned glitches and confirm your commitment
to making a final 3.3.6 release off the branch?

Thanks in advance.

--
Eric Botcazou

* Re: 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-18 19:44 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-10-18 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: gcc

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> writes:

| Hi Gaby,
|
| It appears that the status of the latest two releases off the 3.3 branch is a
| bit uncertain: 3.3.4 is mentioned on the main page but not on the 3.3 pages
| (http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3 and http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3/changes.html) and
| 3.3.5 is not even mentioned on the main page.
|
| Moreover, the version number on the CVS branch has been stuck to 3.3.5 since
| the release, which means reporting testsuite results is useless there.
|
| Some of us are still spending/willing to spend time and cycles to make sure
| the 3.3 branch is extremely stable at this point.  However, these resources
| could be equally well spent on other branches.
|
| Could you please fix the aforementioned glitches and confirm your commitment
| to making a final 3.3.6 release off the branch?

3.3.4 will be mentioned on the relases page.
3.3.5 is not officially released yet.
Yes, I'll release 3.3.6.

I appreciated and still appreciate your constributions.

-- Gaby

* Re: 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-19 14:15   ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2004-10-19 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis

> 3.3.5 is not officially released yet.

OK.  The Debian folks apparently already use it though so I was a bit
confused.

> Yes, I'll release 3.3.6.
>
> I appreciated and still appreciate your constributions.

Thanks. :-)

--
Eric Botcazou

* Re: 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-19 16:49     ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-10-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: gcc

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> writes:

>> 3.3.5 is not officially released yet.
>
> OK.  The Debian folks apparently already use it though so I was a bit
> confused.

Debian GCC packages generally track our CVS release branches so they
can pick up fixes faster, which means they identify themselves as
not-yet-officially-released versions.

zw

* Re: 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-19 17:05       ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2004-10-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Zack Weinberg

> Debian GCC packages generally track our CVS release branches so they
> can pick up fixes faster, which means they identify themselves as
> not-yet-officially-released versions.

They mention "final 3.3.5 release" as of 10/02 though:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/gcc-3.3_3.3.5-1/changelog

and the IRISA mirror in France has a 3.3.5 release dated 09/30.

--
Eric Botcazou

* Re: 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-19 17:17         ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-10-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: gcc

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> writes:

>> Debian GCC packages generally track our CVS release branches so they
>> can pick up fixes faster, which means they identify themselves as
>> not-yet-officially-released versions.
>
> They mention "final 3.3.5 release" as of 10/02 though:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/gcc-3.3_3.3.5-1/changelog
>
> and the IRISA mirror in France has a 3.3.5 release dated 09/30.

Yah.  Gabriel is probably waiting for the entire mirror network to
catch up before making the official announcement.  (It does seem that
this should have happened by now, though, if the release hit the
master FTP site on 9/30.)

zw

* Re: 3.3.x releases and branch
@ 2004-10-19 20:01           ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2004-10-19 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: Eric Botcazou, gcc

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

| Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> writes:
|
| >> Debian GCC packages generally track our CVS release branches so they
| >> can pick up fixes faster, which means they identify themselves as
| >> not-yet-officially-released versions.
| >
| > They mention "final 3.3.5 release" as of 10/02 though:
| > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/gcc-3.3_3.3.5-1/changelog
| >
| > and the IRISA mirror in France has a 3.3.5 release dated 09/30.
|
| Yah.  Gabriel is probably waiting for the entire mirror network to
| catch up before making the official announcement.

Zack is right.  The delay in the annoucement is my own fault.

-- Gaby