* configure issue during make of avr-elf
@ 2009-05-15  4:09 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2009-05-15  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC List, josh.switnicki

Hi,

One of the RTEMS GSoC students is running into a
problem building avr-elf toolset as a precursor
to modifying avr-rtems.  Josh is getting an
error which indicates a configure inconsistency.
I have tried building this toolset on two
different machines and have no problems.
I even sent him a script which starts by
checking binutils, gcc, and newlib out of cvs/svn,
setting up the tree and building it.  It still fails
for him and works for me. I see nothing in our
environments (both Fedora 10) to hint at the problem.

target is avr-elf with newlib.

Here is the error from the make

Configuring in avr-elf/libgcc
configure: loading cache ./config.cache
configure: error: `CC' has changed since the previous run:
configure:   former value:  `/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/./gcc/xgcc
-B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/./gcc/ -B/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/bin/
-B/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/lib/ -isystem
/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/include -isystem
/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/sys-include   '
configure:   current value: `/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/./gcc/xgcc
-B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/./gcc/ -nostdinc
-B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/ -isystem
/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/targ-include -isystem
/home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/newlib/libc/include
-B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/avr
-L/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/libnosys
-L/home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/libgloss/avr
-B/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/bin/
-B/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/lib/ -isystem
/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/include -isystem
/home/cain/avr-install/avr-elf/sys-include   '
configure: error: in `/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgcc':
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and
start over
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libgcc] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc'

I see an old message that this can be worked around by a
hack in the top level Makefile.in but the file looks very
different now and this message didn't explain the failure.

http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2006/msg00472.html

Any ideas on this one?

--joel sherrill
RTEMS

* Re: configure issue during make of avr-elf
@ 2009-05-15  5:15 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-05-15  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: GCC List, josh.switnicki

Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> writes:

> Configuring in avr-elf/libgcc
> configure: loading cache ./config.cache
> configure: error: `CC' has changed since the previous run:

The change is that these options are new:

-nostdinc -B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/ -isystem /home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/targ-include -isystem /home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/newlib/libc/include -B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/avr -L/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/libnosys -L/home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/libgloss/avr

These options are added by the top level configure script when newlib
and libgloss are present in the source tree and --with-newlib was passed
to configure.

This is what I would expect to happen if the student changed the source
tree by adding the newlib and libgloss directories and did a new build
without completely removing the old build.  I don't see how it could
possibly happen when doing a build in a fresh empty directory.  If it is
happening in a fresh empty directory, it might help to send the complete
output of make, to see why libgcc is being configured twice.

Ian

* Re: configure issue during make of avr-elf
@ 2009-05-15 17:15   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2009-05-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: GCC List, josh.switnicki

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> writes:
>

>> Configuring in avr-elf/libgcc
>> configure: loading cache ./config.cache
>> configure: error: `CC' has changed since the previous run:
>>

> The change is that these options are new:
>
> -nostdinc -B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/ -isystem /home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/targ-include -isystem /home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/newlib/libc/include -B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/avr -L/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/libnosys -L/home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/libgloss/avr
>
> These options are added by the top level configure script when newlib
> and libgloss are present in the source tree and --with-newlib was passed
> to configure.
>
> This is what I would expect to happen if the student changed the source
> tree by adding the newlib and libgloss directories and did a new build
> without completely removing the old build.  I don't see how it could
> possibly happen when doing a build in a fresh empty directory.  If it is
> happening in a fresh empty directory, it might help to send the complete
> output of make, to see why libgcc is being configured twice.

Josh, can you point Ian to where you put all your build logs?

Thanks Ian.

--joel

@ 2009-05-15 18:16     ` josh.switnicki
From: josh.switnicki @ 2009-05-15 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, GCC List

Quoting Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com>:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> writes:
>>

>>> Configuring in avr-elf/libgcc
>>> configure: loading cache ./config.cache
>>> configure: error: `CC' has changed since the previous run:
>>>

>> The change is that these options are new:
>>
>> -nostdinc -B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/ -isystem
>> /home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/newlib/targ-include -isystem
>> /home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/newlib/libc/include
>> -B/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/avr
>> -L/home/cain/avr-tools/gcc/avr-elf/libgloss/libnosys
>> -L/home/cain/src/gcc-svn/trunk/libgloss/avr
>>
>> These options are added by the top level configure script when newlib
>> and libgloss are present in the source tree and --with-newlib was passed
>> to configure.
>>
>> This is what I would expect to happen if the student changed the source
>> tree by adding the newlib and libgloss directories and did a new build
>> without completely removing the old build.  I don't see how it could
>> possibly happen when doing a build in a fresh empty directory.  If it is
>> happening in a fresh empty directory, it might help to send the complete
>> output of make, to see why libgcc is being configured twice.
>>

> Josh, can you point Ian to where you put all your build logs?

here are all the build logs configure,make,install

http://code.google.com/p/tinyrtems/downloads/list

> Thanks Ian.
>
> --joel
>> Ian

Thanks for the help,

Josh

* Re: configure issue during make of avr-elf
@ 2009-05-15 18:39       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-05-15 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: josh.switnicki; +Cc: Joel Sherrill, GCC List

josh.switnicki@utoronto.ca writes:

>> Josh, can you point Ian to where you put all your build logs?
>
> here are all the build logs configure,make,install
>
> http://code.google.com/p/tinyrtems/downloads/list

I don't see any "CC has changed" errors in those log files.  I don't see
any errors at all.

Ian

* Re: configure issue during make of avr-elf
@ 2009-05-15 19:00         ` josh.switnicki
From: josh.switnicki @ 2009-05-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Joel Sherrill, GCC List

Quoting Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>:

> josh.switnicki@utoronto.ca writes:
>
>>> Josh, can you point Ian to where you put all your build logs?
>>
>> here are all the build logs configure,make,install
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/tinyrtems/downloads/list
>
> I don't see any "CC has changed" errors in those log files.  I don't see
> any errors at all.

The build completes without error but when I try to compile a simple
test program I get what I believe are newlib related errors.

to eliminate error1:
I added the newlib include directory manually to the include search path.

"-I <dir-path>"

and then I got the second error.

not sure what is causing either error.

posted at:
http://code.google.com/p/tinyrtems/downloads/list?saved=1&ts=1242410238

> Ian

thanks again,
Josh

* Re: configure issue during make of avr-elf
@ 2009-05-15 19:57           ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-05-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: josh.switnicki; +Cc: Joel Sherrill, GCC List

josh.switnicki@utoronto.ca writes:

> The build completes without error but when I try to compile a simple
> test program I get what I believe are newlib related errors.
>

> to eliminate error1:
> I added the newlib include directory manually to the include search path.
>
> "-I <dir-path>"
>
> and then I got the second error.
>
> not sure what is causing either error.
>
> posted at:
> http://code.google.com/p/tinyrtems/downloads/list?saved=1&ts=1242410238

Did you build newlib?

I don't see it in the build logs you posted earlier.

Ian