* Re: Automake versions (was: Patch to make libgcj work with autoreconf again)
@ 2005-08-23 18:29 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2005-08-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: tromey, pinskia, kcook, java-patches

Thanks Tom for pointing this out. We have to all keep these autotools
versions synced: it bugs everybody to have extraneous differences in
trees due to version mis-match.

>Unfortunately, we have automake 1.9.3, 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 floating
>throughout the tree.

How did this happen?

>I propose standardizing the entire tree on 1.9.6,
>as it is the current release; moreover the 1.9 branch has only had a
>few minor patches since 1.9.6 was released 6 weeks ago so 1.9.6 might
>be stable for a while.

I am in support of this. The sooner the better.

>> Probably we should have a script in contrib/ that downloads and
>> builds all the currently-required tool versions.

>This would be very cool.

That seems like the only solution to end this continual issue. I'm strongly in favor of it.

-benjamin

* Re: Automake versions (was: Patch to make libgcj work with autoreconf again)
@ 2005-08-23 18:43 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2005-08-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkoz; +Cc: gcc, tromey, pinskia, kcook, java-patches

> Thanks Tom for pointing this out. We have to all keep these
> autotools versions synced: it bugs everybody to have extraneous
> differences in trees due to version mis-match.

Could we modify the CVS commit filters to *require* the right
versions?  If it detects a commit with the wrong version (at least,
assuming the old rev had the right version), it can just reject it.

* Re: Automake versions (was: Patch to make libgcj work with autoreconf again)
@ 2005-08-23 19:26   ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2005-08-23 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: gcc, tromey, pinskia, kcook, java-patches

> Could we modify the CVS commit filters to *require* the right
> versions?  If it detects a commit with the wrong version (at least,
> assuming the old rev had the right version), it can just reject it.

Dunno if this is possible, but this would be great. It would be nice if
there was a way to set different versions per branch. For instance, the
gcc-4_0-branch, gcc-3_4-branch, and mainline might have different
autotools requirements.

-benjamin

* Re: Automake versions (was: Patch to make libgcj work with autoreconf again)
@ 2005-08-23 22:44     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-08-23 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: DJ Delorie, gcc, tromey, pinskia, kcook, java-patches

Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:

> > Could we modify the CVS commit filters to *require* the right
> > versions?  If it detects a commit with the wrong version (at least,
> > assuming the old rev had the right version), it can just reject it.
>
> Dunno if this is possible, but this would be great.

This is possible--the file to modify is CVSROOT/commitinfo, to run
some script for a specific set of files.

 It would be nice if
> there was a way to set different versions per branch. For instance, the
> gcc-4_0-branch, gcc-3_4-branch, and mainline might have different
> autotools requirements.

I'm not sure this is available.  It might be possible to look in
CVS/Tag to find the branch tag for the file.  I don't know whether
that file is certain to exist when commitinfo is run, but it seems
that it might.

Ian

* Re: Automake versions (was: Patch to make libgcj work with autoreconf again)
@ 2005-08-23 20:32   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2005-08-23 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

KC> Unfortunately, we have automake 1.9.3, 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 floating
KC> throughout the tree.  I propose standardizing the entire tree on 1.9.6,
KC> as it is the current release; moreover the 1.9 branch has only had a
KC> few minor patches since 1.9.6 was released 6 weeks ago so 1.9.6 might
KC> be stable for a while.

This sounds great to me.

>> Probably we should have a script in contrib/ that downloads and
>> builds all the currently-required tool versions.

KC> This would be very cool.

I submitted one.

Tom

* Automake versions (was: Patch to make libgcj work with autoreconf again)
       [not found] <m34q9g1udt.fsf@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2005-08-23 18:26 ` Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2005-08-23 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

> KC> 2005-08-19  Kelley Cook  <kcook@gcc.gnu.org>
> KC> 	* Makefile.am (ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS): Also include "..".
> KC> 	* acinclude.m4: Delete.  Extract CHECK_FOR_BROKEN_MINGW_LD to
> KC> 	* mingwld.m4: ... this new file.
> KC> 	* aclocal.m4, Makefile.in, gcj/Makefile.in: Regenerate.
> KC> 	* include/Makefile.in, testsuite/Makfile.in: Regenerate.
>
> You used automake 1.9.4 to build Makefile.in.

Yes, Andrew had used 1.9.4 in his patch
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2005-08/msg00618.html) from a few days
before, so I did also.  I actually had to download that version first.