* merging the maverick FPU patches
@ 2010-04-25  9:47 Martin Guy
From: Martin Guy @ 2010-04-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

now that stage3 is over I'm thinking of updating the
MaverickCrunch FPU fixes (currently for 4.3) and merging them but
would appreciate some guidance.

There are 26 patches in all and I can't expect anyone to understand
them because they require a good understanding of the FPU and its
hardware bugs (and there are a lot of them!) :) What's the best path?
Create a branch, work there and then merge when done?

I have done the copyright assignment stuff but don't have an account
on gcc.gnu.org. They all affect files under config/arm/ apart from one
testsuite fix and the docs.

* Re: merging the maverick FPU patches
@ 2010-04-25 18:07 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-04-25 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Guy; +Cc: gcc

Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com> writes:

> now that stage3 is over I'm thinking of updating the
> MaverickCrunch FPU fixes (currently for 4.3) and merging them but
> would appreciate some guidance.
>
> There are 26 patches in all and I can't expect anyone to understand
> them because they require a good understanding of the FPU and its
> hardware bugs (and there are a lot of them!) :) What's the best path?
> Create a branch, work there and then merge when done?
>
> I have done the copyright assignment stuff but don't have an account
> on gcc.gnu.org. They all affect files under config/arm/ apart from one
> testsuite fix and the docs.

For a backend specific patch like this, I would recommend contacting
the ARM backend maintainers directly to ask how they would prefer to
proceed.  They can be found in the top level MAINTAINERS file:

arm port		Nick Clifton		nickc@redhat.com
arm port		Richard Earnshaw	richard.earnshaw@arm.com
arm port		Paul Brook		paul@codesourcery.com

Ian

* Re: merging the maverick FPU patches
@ 2010-06-01 23:39   ` Martin Guy
From: Martin Guy @ 2010-06-01 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc, Nick Clifton, Richard Earnshaw, Paul Brook

On 4/25/10, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > now that stage3 is over I'm thinking of updating the
>  > MaverickCrunch FPU fixes (currently for 4.3) and merging them but
>  > would appreciate some guidance.
>  >
>  > There are 26 patches in all and I can't expect anyone to understand
>  > them because they require a good understanding of the FPU and its
>  > hardware bugs (and there are a lot of them!) :) What's the best path?
>  > Create a branch, work there and then merge when done?
>  >
>  > I have done the copyright assignment stuff but don't have an account
>  > on gcc.gnu.org. They all affect files under config/arm/ apart from one
>  > testsuite fix and the docs.
>

> For a backend specific patch like this, I would recommend contacting
>  the ARM backend maintainers directly to ask how they would prefer to
>  proceed.  They can be found in the top level MAINTAINERS file:
>
>  arm port                Nick Clifton            nickc@redhat.com
>  arm port                Richard Earnshaw        richard.earnshaw@arm.com
>  arm port                Paul Brook              paul@codesourcery.com

Hi
  I've had no reply from anyone - maybe everyone is hoping someone
else do so. :)
Of the three companies, redhat would be the most suitable, since the
original unfinished port was done by them, and I guess ARM has no
interest in making GCC work with non-ARM FPUs.
  The code they add/remove/change is pretty self-contained and doesn't
impact the other code generation options. It just fixes the current
implementation.
  Nick, are you willing to do the necessary? Since it just fixes
existing code that never worked, all it requires from a maintainer is
to check that it doesn't break code generation for other targets,
which is easy to check automatically by testing a sample of targets
and it's not hard to check by eye that the changes are only active
when TARGET_MAVERICK.

Cheers