* GCC 4.7.0 as a AVR cross compiler
@ 2012-03-30 16:46 stuart
From: stuart @ 2012-03-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this, but how do I get gcc
4.7.0 to compile as a cross compiler for the Atmel AVR series?

The native host is an x86 IA32 box running Slackware, gcc 3.3.6.

I have successfully compiled and installed (in /usr/local/avr) binutils
2.22 and set my path to include the newly compiled binutils
(/usr/local/avr/bin).

I can not seem to get gcc 4.7.0 to compile; it will not complete the
configuration stage complaining about missing packages (GMP, MPFR and
MPC). I have tried to cross compile these packages for the Atmel AVR
Mega series but the only one that seems to complete is the GMP
package. The cross compile did produce a lib file (and install it and
the gpm.h file in the correct place) but nothing else would accept that
GMP was present on the system.

I would like to ask the maintainer or tester of the AVR code to include
some notes on cross compiling GCC in future.

Any advice on how to get gcc installed as a cross compiler would be
most welcome.

TIA,
--
Stuart
Microsoft - products from convicted criminals

* Re: GCC 4.7.0 as a AVR cross compiler
@ 2012-03-30 19:22 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-03-30 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stuart; +Cc: gcc

stuart <stuart@trognet.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I am not sure this is the right place to ask this

It's not.  The right place is gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  Please take any
followups there.  Thanks.

> I can not seem to get gcc 4.7.0 to compile; it will not complete the
> configuration stage complaining about missing packages (GMP, MPFR and
> MPC). I have tried to cross compile these packages for the Atmel AVR
> Mega series but the only one that seems to complete is the GMP
> package. The cross compile did produce a lib file (and install it and
> the gpm.h file in the correct place) but nothing else would accept that
> GMP was present on the system.

You need to have GMP, MPFR, and MPC for the host.  You do not need to
cross-compile them for AVR.

Ian

* Re: GCC 4.7.0 as a AVR cross compiler
@ 2012-04-02  8:59 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-04-02  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 03/30/2012 05:46 PM, stuart wrote:
> I can not seem to get gcc 4.7.0 to compile; it will not complete the
> configuration stage complaining about missing packages (GMP, MPFR and
> MPC).

Go into the top-level source directory in the unpacked gcc sources
and run this script:

./contrib/download_prerequisites

Andrew.