From: Richard Sandiford <richard.sandiford@arm.com>
To: YunQiang Su <yunqiang.su@cipunited.com>
Cc: "gcc\@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Taking Over MIPS Maintenance
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 08:47:44 +0100	[thread overview]

YunQiang Su <yunqiang.su@cipunited.com> writes:
> Greetings all,
>
> I would like to self-nominate as the new GCC MIPS maintainer. Matthew Fortune is listed in MAINTAINERS as the current maintainer of GCC's MIPS Port. However, it has been years since he left MIPS Technologies and had since been inactive.
>
> I currently work for CIP United Inc., which is the exclusive licensor and operator of MIPS IPs in China, Hong Kong, and Macau. Part of our operations include maintaining open source software solutions for MIPS and we are looking to continue maintaining GCC's MIPS port. As the director of the company's software ecosystem department, I have been working with GCC and contributed code to the upstream repository since 2021. In September 2021, I was given write access to the repository:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=YunQiang+Su
>
> Please let me know about your thoughts on this proposal.

FWIW, I'd support this.  The MIPS port has been unmaintained for
many years now.  As the previous maintainer before Matthew, I've
tried to cover the area a bit.  But

(a) It's now close to 15 years since I did any meaningful MIPS work,
    so I've forgotten a great deal.

(b) Most new work will be specific to MIPSr6, which I have never used.

(c) It's been very difficult to find the time.

It would be more usual to wait a bit longer until someone becomes
maintainer.  But IMO that's only sensible when there's an existing
maintainer to cover the interim.

Thanks,
Richard