On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, Nicholas Krause wrote: > Greetings Richard, > > I don't know if it's currently possible but whats the best way to either so > about or > > use a tool to expose shared state at both the GIMPLE and RTL level.  This > would > > allow us to figure out much better what algorthims or data structures to > choose > > to allow this to scale much better than the current prototype. You are mixing independent issues. Shared state needs to be identified and protected for correctness reasons. In some cases changing the data structure to be protected can make it cheaper to do so. The scaling of the current prototype is limited by the fraction of the compilation we parallelize as well as the granularity. Going forward the most useful things are a) reducing the amount of state that ends up being shared when we paralellize, b) increase the fraction of the compilation we paralellize by tackling RTL optimizations and the early GIMPLE pipeline The prototype showed that paralellization is beneficial and that it can be done with a reasonable amount of work. Richard. -- Richard Biener SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany; GF: Felix Imendörffer; HRB 247165 (AG München)