* Compiling gcc 2.95.2 on IRIX
@ 2000-03-10  8:37 Pascal Francq
From: Pascal Francq @ 2000-03-10  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have download the source code of full gcc 2.95.2.
I try to compile it using the default c compiler, and i have this error message:

cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad syntax for option
cc WARNING:  phase key (-)  is no longer supported
cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad phase for -W option
cc WARNING:  phase key (W)  is no longer supported
cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad phase for -W option
cc ERROR parsing -W:  unknown flag
*** Error code 2 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
--

Ir. Pascal Francq
Researcher

* Re: Compiling gcc 2.95.2 on IRIX
@ 2000-03-10  8:56 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-03-10  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Francq; +Cc: gcc

On Mar 10, 2000, Pascal Francq <pfrancq@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> I try to compile it using the default c compiler, and i have this error message:

> cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad syntax for option

Use `make bootstrap', as recommended in the installation instructions.

--
Alexandre Oliva     http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/     Enjoy Guaraná
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com

* Re: Compiling gcc 2.95.2 on IRIX
@ 2000-03-11  6:32   ` Pascal Francq
       [not found]     ` <002f01bf8b69$6f1187b0$6f0f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
From: Pascal Francq @ 2000-03-11  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2000, Pascal Francq <pfrancq@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
> > I try to compile it using the default c compiler, and i have this error message:
>
> > cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad syntax for option
>
> Use `make bootstrap', as recommended in the installation instructions.

I have the same error with "make bootstrap".
--

@ 2000-03-11  7:12       ` Pascal Francq
From: Pascal Francq @ 2000-03-11  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Tim Prince wrote:
> You are using a compiler other than gcc for a part of the build which is
> configured for gcc.  Perhaps you need to make clean and reconfigure.

The problem is that only the native compiler of IRIX is installed.
--

@ 2000-03-11 14:03     ` Alexandre Oliva
       [not found]       ` <001301bf8ba7$df2c6090$760f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-03-11 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Francq; +Cc: gcc

On Mar 11, 2000, Pascal Francq <pfrancq@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, you wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2000, Pascal Francq <pfrancq@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>>
>> > I try to compile it using the default c compiler, and i have this error message:
>>
>> > cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad syntax for option
>>
>> Use `make bootstrap', as recommended in the installation instructions.
>>
> I have the same error with "make bootstrap".

How did you `configure' GCC?  Which C compiler did `configure' find?
Are you overriding that when you run `make bootstrap'?  What's it
trying to compile just before printing these messages?  Are you
running `make bootstrap' in the top-level directory or in the gcc
sub-directory of the build tree?

--

@ 2000-03-12  5:53         ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2000-03-12  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfrancq; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:06:49 +0100, Pascal Francq wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Tim Prince wrote:
>> You are using a compiler other than gcc for a part of the build which is
>> configured for gcc.  Perhaps you need to make clean and reconfigure.
>>
> The problem is that only the native compiler of IRIX is installed.

That's not a problem. I have been able to compile gcc-2.95.2 on IRIX 5.3,
6.3, and 6.5 with the native IRIX MipsPRO C compiler and also with the
previously installed gcc-2.8.1.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

@ 2000-03-12 21:24         ` Alexandre Oliva