* Re: GCJ and $PREFIX/include
@ 2003-05-04 18:58 Benjamin Kosnik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2003-05-04 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: java

> Could we please put this into $PREFIX/include/java/3.3 similar to what
> we do for C++ headers and also have the equivalent of
> --with-gxx-include-dir for Java include files?

Although I'm a fan of the current C++ include install strategy, I'd not
be one to force it on other runtime libs. I do think that
$(prefix)/include/language/do_your_thing makes the most cohesive install
for the gcc project as a whole. It would be great to have some
consistency on this, but since consistency has never really been a goal
here.....

As a side note, C++ installation includes a version now to allow the
implementation more freedom (especially WRT ABI and new features.)
Perhaps this is not needed for java.

Two meta comments on the current configuration issues concerning includes:

--with-gxx-include-dir

Should have been named --with-include-install-dir. I don't think this
makes any sense now, since we have DESTDIR support. I would love to
remove it, unless somebody can tell me a compelling reason to keep it.

-enable-version-specific-runtime-libs

Since all C++ includes are versioned now, this really only changes the
install directory to the compiler directory. I don't think this is used
outside of C++, and furthermore, I think DESTDIR solves this too.

Both of these options have long resulted in subtle configure/make errors
that are very hard to test and often broken.

I'd rather see the GCC project standardize on one thing that everybody
could use, something that is named neutrally, and implemented broadly,
then all these weakly named options for single parts of the toolchain
that do ultra-specific things.

(Furthermore, as somebody requested a while back, I'd much rather the
gcc-3.3.0 version string be gcc-3.3.0 instead of gcc-3.3.)

back into hiding,
benjamin

* GCJ and $PREFIX/include
@ 2003-05-04 11:29 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-04 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java; +Cc: gcc

Currently GCJ puts a lot of headers directly in $PREFIX/include:

  ffi.h
  ffi_mips.h
  fficonfig.h
  gc.h
  gc_backptr.h
  gc_cpp.h
  gc_local_alloc.h
  gc_pthread_redirects.h
  gcj/
  gnu/
  java/
  javax/
  jni.h
  jvmpi.h
  org/

Could we please put this into $PREFIX/include/java/3.3 similar to what we
do for C++ headers and also have the equivalent of --with-gxx-include-dir
for Java include files?

This seems more consistent (and cleaner) to me and would make packaging
easier in various cases.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/