* Re: gas/gld installation during bootstrap -- how to unpack?
@ 1998-10-27 18:13 Frederick W. Wheeler
From: Frederick W. Wheeler @ 1998-10-27 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

EGCS list,

I think my last question was too brief.  Here is a bit more
explanation of what I mean:

To have "make bootstrap" build and use gas and gld, should the
binutils-2.9.1 top-level source directory be in the egcs-1.1a
directory or should certain sub-directories and files from
binutils-2.9.1 be placed in egcs-1.1a?

Thanks again for your time,
Fred Wheeler
wheeler@ipl.rpi.edu

@ 1998-10-28 23:17 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1998-10-28 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederick W. Wheeler; +Cc: egcs

Frederick W Wheeler <wheeler@ipl.rpi.edu> writes:

> To have "make bootstrap" build and use gas and gld, should the
> binutils-2.9.1 top-level source directory be in the egcs-1.1a
> directory or should certain sub-directories and files from
> binutils-2.9.1 be placed in egcs-1.1a?

From a quick look at the top-level Makefile, it seems to me that
binutils-2.9.1 should be moved into egcs/binutils (no version number)

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:oliva@gnu.org mailto:aoliva@acm.org

* Re: gas/gld installation during bootstrap -- how to unpack?
@ 1998-10-28 18:51 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-10-28 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederick W. Wheeler; +Cc: egcs

> I'd like to have "make bootstrap" build and use gas and gld, but I
> don't understand exactly what is meant by "if they have been properly
> unpacked into the egcs source tree" in the installation instructions I
> have quoted below.

WARNING WARNING: read the last paragraph before trying this.

Let's say that you have a binutils distribution and an egcs distribution
or snapshot.

If you untar them both, you will find that the top-level directories of
both have many files in common: COPYING, COPYING.LIB, configure, etc.
In fact, the top levels of both are substantially identical.  The reason
is that both can be thought of as subsets of one big source tree from
which all tools can be built.

So, you could move the directories

	bfd binutils gas gprof ld opcodes

from the binutils tree into the egcs tree and they would all build with
the one configure, make bootstrap, make install series of commands.

HOWEVER: you're taking a risk if you do that, since the "official"
versions were built in a tree that contains an older libiberty and other
minor differences.  Please don't confuse others by giving them the
resulting binaries and telling them you've given them, say, gas 2.9.1,
since you've given them something that may be slightly different.  Also,
since gas and gld don't change every week like snapshots do, you might not
want to keep rebuilding them.

* gas/gld installation during bootstrap -- how to unpack?
@ 1998-10-27 16:33 Frederick W. Wheeler

From: http://egcs.cygnus.com/install/build.html