* Re: g77 -fixed-line-length-none -x f77-cpp-input -c blah.f
@ 2003-01-04 17:32 Erik Schnetter
From: Erik Schnetter @ 2003-01-04 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene, gcc

Why does g77 invoce cc1?  I thought it would invoke cpp directly.  Will
cc1 invoke the external cpp, or will cc1 rather use the built-in cpp
library?

I thought, but I can be wrong here, that the cpp library doesn't really
support the "-traditional" mode any more, whereas the cpp executable
does.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@uni-tuebingen.de>
Web: http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~schnette/

* g77 -fixed-line-length-none -x f77-cpp-input -c blah.f
@ 2003-01-04 14:07 Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2003-01-04 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

PR Fortran/9038 is about the following:

g77 -ffixed-line-length-none -x f77-cpp-input -c blah.f gives:
warning: unknown register name line-length-none.

Without the -x f77-cpp-input this doesn't happen; with it, it does,
because on seeing -x f77-cpp-input g77 invokes cc1 to do the
preprocessing (using the now builtin preprocessor).

Unfortunately, cc1 sees -ffixed-line-length-none and decides this is an
option of the form -ffixed-<some register> and gives the warning.

How is this supposed to work ? (in this case it's a warning, but I can
imagine more nasty things happening if cc1 tries to interpret other
language processor's options).

Could one of the kings of spec provide some insight ?

Thanks in advance,