* gcc20000320 on RH6.0 built succesfull but how to install ?
@ 2000-03-26 19:32 Michael Meding
From: Michael Meding @ 2000-03-26 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi everybody,

I configured and built succesfully the mentioned snapshot with
--enable-haifa --enable-cpp (is that right for me anyway?).

Thing is now, how Do I install gcc to replace my egcs1.1.2 that came
with RH6.0 ?

I am trying to build XF4 with it and when I change gcc to gcc -V 2.96
and c++ to c++ -V 2.96 than it messes up my build pretty bad. It stops
with an error.

So I guessed this was not the right way to do. ;-)

So what is the right way. Ive read the faq and the install docu but
couldn't find a way out of my dilemma.

Is there anybody outhere who did something like this already and would
be so kind as of giving me some advice ?

Thanks in avance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Michael Meding

* Re: gcc20000320 on RH6.0 built succesfull but how to install ?
@ 2000-03-26 20:58 ` Philipp Thomas
From: Philipp Thomas @ 2000-03-26 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Meding; +Cc: gcc

* Michael Meding (MichaelMeding@gmx.de) [20000327 05:33]:

> Thing is now, how Do I install gcc to replace my egcs1.1.2 that came
> with RH6.0 ?

Just configure it with --prefix=/usr . That would overwrite the installed
egcs. The IMO better solution is to just install it in the default place,
/usr/local, and then put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in your path.

> I am trying to build XF4 with it and when I change gcc to gcc -V 2.96
> and c++ to c++ -V 2.96 than it messes up my build pretty bad. It stops
> with an error.

Just forget trying to compile XFree86 4.0 (or any XFree86 version for that
matter) with the current CVS gcc. The reason is, that the preprocessor fails
to process the imake config files :( My guess ATM (though I've not yet tried
it) is, that configuring gcc with --disable-cpplib is the only way to get
XFree86 to compile.

At least for XFree86, I'd recommend getting the last official release,
2.95.2, as it will succeed in compiling XFree86. If you use 2.95.2, apply
the attached Patch to xc/config/cf/Imake.cf in order to get rid of some
funny things happening if you don't apply the patch.

Philipp

--
Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>
SuSE GmbH, Schanzaecker Str. 10, D-90443 Nuremberg, Germany

#define NINODE  50              /* number of in core inodes */
#define NPROC   30              /* max number of processes */
 	-- Version 7 UNIX fuer PDP 11, /usr/include/sys/param.h

* Re: gcc20000320 on RH6.0 built succesfull but how to install ?
@ 2000-03-27  0:10   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-03-27  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Thomas; +Cc: Michael Meding, gcc