* finding bugs deferred from previous releases
@ 2018-02-07  4:38 Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2018-02-07  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

In this round of GCC stabilization, I've noticed a larger than usual
number of bugs that carried over from earlier cycles, with notes
indicating it was too late to fix them during stabilization.

I wish we had some means to mark such bugs clearly, so that they could
be found easily earlier in the development cycles, instead of lingering
on until we find it's too late again.

Just targeting it to a future release might be enough during
stabilization, but later on, it will be hard to tell these cases apart
from other bugs for which we didn't make such assessment, and that could
in theory still be addressed during the next round of stabilization.

What I wish for is some means to find these bugs easily, while we're
earlier in a development cycle.  We could mark them as we go through the
current regressions list, so that others wouldn't look at them again in
this cycle, but could find them at any point in the next.

Just bumping the target milestone would address part of the problem: it
would help exclude it from bug lists that need fixing in this cycle.
However, it wouldn't help locate these bugs during the next cycle, since
at some point GCC8 will be out and the target milestone for all unfixed
bugs will be bumped.  Also, when we get to GCC9 stabilization, it would
be nice to have some means to defer again any bugs that, during the
earlier stabilization cycles, were deemed unfixable in the stabilization
phase, so as to defer them again.

Any thoughts on how to mark such bugs in bugzilla?

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer

* Re: finding bugs deferred from previous releases
@ 2018-02-08 11:29 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2018-02-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: GCC Development

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 5:37 AM, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In this round of GCC stabilization, I've noticed a larger than usual
> number of bugs that carried over from earlier cycles, with notes
> indicating it was too late to fix them during stabilization.
>
> I wish we had some means to mark such bugs clearly, so that they could
> be found easily earlier in the development cycles, instead of lingering
> on until we find it's too late again.
>
> Just targeting it to a future release might be enough during
> stabilization, but later on, it will be hard to tell these cases apart
> from other bugs for which we didn't make such assessment, and that could
> in theory still be addressed during the next round of stabilization.
>
> What I wish for is some means to find these bugs easily, while we're
> earlier in a development cycle.  We could mark them as we go through the
> current regressions list, so that others wouldn't look at them again in
> this cycle, but could find them at any point in the next.
>
> Just bumping the target milestone would address part of the problem: it
> would help exclude it from bug lists that need fixing in this cycle.
> However, it wouldn't help locate these bugs during the next cycle, since
> at some point GCC8 will be out and the target milestone for all unfixed
> bugs will be bumped.  Also, when we get to GCC9 stabilization, it would
> be nice to have some means to defer again any bugs that, during the
> earlier stabilization cycles, were deemed unfixable in the stabilization
> phase, so as to defer them again.
>
> Any thoughts on how to mark such bugs in bugzilla?

Add a 'defered' keyword?

Richard.

@ 2018-02-28  9:12   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2018-02-28  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: GCC Development

On Feb  8, 2018, Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> Add a 'defered' keyword?

Done:

  deferred:

    This bug was deemed too risky to attempt to fix during stabilization
    stages.  Deferred to a development stage of a subsequent release.

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer