* autoconf 2.12.2 ???
@ 1998-12-01 16:49 Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1998-12-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm just wondering what the autoconf people are doing. I've got autoconf
from their development tree, built it. Now, autoconf --version tells me
2.12.2.

Huh ? If they are finished with 2.12.1 and are proceeding with 2.12.2,
why didn't they release a tar-ball ?

(this would be cleaner for me, as I have to patch configure.in and reinvoke
autoconf... then distribute the resulting configure, as people for which this
is meant have no automated way to get at a cvs archive, whereas a tar-ball
would do nicely)

* Re: autoconf 2.12.2 ???
@ 1998-12-01 23:27 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-01 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Espie; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199812012303.AAA00471@quatramaran.ens.fr >you write:
  > I'm just wondering what the autoconf people are doing. I've got autoconf
  > from their development tree, built it. Now, autoconf --version tells me
  > 2.12.2.
  >
  > Huh ? If they are finished with 2.12.1 and are proceeding with 2.12.2,
  > why didn't they release a tar-ball ?
  >
  > (this would be cleaner for me, as I have to patch configure.in and reinvoke
  > autoconf... then distribute the resulting configure, as people for which th
  > is
  > is meant have no automated way to get at a cvs archive, whereas a tar-ball
  > would do nicely)
You should talk to the autoconf folks about it.  We don't control the autoconf
repo, snapshots or release cycles.

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/autoconf/

jeff

* Re: autoconf 2.12.2 ???
@ 1998-12-02 14:54   ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1998-12-02 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, Marc.Espie; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 12:25:38AM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> You should talk to the autoconf folks about it.  We don't control the autoconf
> repo, snapshots or release cycles.

This is what I've just done, especially after noting that, to my
astonishement, autoconf-2.12.1 is more than one year old !
I have to assume that they did not deem the change important enough to
trigger a release.

I hope that egcs is big enough to change that. Either that, or this is going
to be an inconvenience when a true release that relies on 2.12.1 hits the
door...

The real relevance to egcs is that this is starting to remind me very
strongly of a compiler that took a three years leave of absence between
releases...
--
	Marc Espie

* Re: autoconf 2.12.2 ???
@ 1998-12-02 14:54     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-02 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Espie; +Cc: Marc.Espie, egcs

  In message < 19981202184121.44539@liafa1.liafa.jussieu.fr >you write:
  > I hope that egcs is big enough to change that. Either that, or this is
  > going to be an inconvenience when a true release that relies on 2.12.1 hits the
  > door...
But our releases do not need to run autoconf to build.  Only folks that are
using cvs snapshots or updating strictly with diffs are going to have these
problems.  And they're easily addressed with a few well placed touch commands.

  > The real relevance to egcs is that this is starting to remind me very
  > strongly of a compiler that took a three years leave of absence between
  > releases...
There's a lot of history behind the autoconf mess.  I think it's coming out
from under the rock now.  The primary difference was nobody was working on
autoconf so there was nothing new to release.  THe scene in the gcc2 world
was significantly different.

jeff

* Re: autoconf 2.12.2 ???
@ 1998-12-02 22:34     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1998-12-02 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Espie; +Cc: law, Marc.Espie, egcs

On Dec  2, 1998, Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> I hope that egcs is big enough to change that. Either that, or this is going
> to be an inconvenience when a true release that relies on 2.12.1 hits the
> door...

autoconf 2.13 should be released in the near future.

> The real relevance to egcs is that this is starting to remind me very
> strongly of a compiler that took a three years leave of absence between
> releases...

This is not fair.  autoconf has not been maintained for a long time,
and only recently Ben Elliston volunteered to maintain it and got it
moving again.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}