* Compiling egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
@ 1997-12-19  6:48 A. J. Rajkumar
From: A. J. Rajkumar @ 1997-12-19  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi Folks

      I am trying to compile egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
using 'gcc-2.7.2.1'. I am getting an error about a 'f/bad.c' file
missing when it tries to make f77. Is it possible that the 'make'
that I am using is buggy. I am not using the 'GNUmake' but
the 'make' that came with solaris.

      How can I turn off compiling the 'fortran compiler'.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Joseph Rajkumar
rajkumar@orionsci.com

* Re: Compiling egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
@ 1997-12-19 12:34 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1997-12-19 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A. J. Rajkumar; +Cc: egcs

A J Rajkumar writes:

>       I am trying to compile egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
> using 'gcc-2.7.2.1'. I am getting an error about a 'f/bad.c' file
> missing when it tries to make f77. Is it possible that the 'make'
> that I am using is buggy. I am not using the 'GNUmake' but
> the 'make' that came with solaris.

Run `make bootstrap', not just `make' or `make all'

[ Jeff, what if we made bootstrap the default make target, and `make
onestage' the alternate target for those who want a single stage run?
]

>       How can I turn off compiling the 'fortran compiler'.

Select the languages/programs you want to build and run:

make LANGUAGES="c c++ proto gcov $whatever$" bootstrap

Instead of this, you may just download egcs-core (which includes C
language support) and egcs-<language> distribution only, instead of
the full egcs-1.0 tarball.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org

* Re: Compiling egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
@ 1997-12-19 13:02 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-19 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A. J. Rajkumar; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 349A8934.9D860437@orionsci.com >you write:
  >       I am trying to compile egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
  > using 'gcc-2.7.2.1'. I am getting an error about a 'f/bad.c' file
  > missing when it tries to make f77. Is it possible that the 'make'
  > that I am using is buggy. I am not using the 'GNUmake' but
  > the 'make' that came with solaris.
I suspect you're getting this error because you're not using GNU make
which has better VPATH support than Sun's make.

If you can't use GNU make, then you've got several options to avoid
the Fortran stuff:

  1. Remove it from the source tree, then reconfigure & rebuild egcs;
  drastic, but effective if you won't want Fortran.  However, I suspect
  you'll run into more problems of the same nature later.

  2. make bootstrap LANGUAGES="c c++" or something simlar, taking care of
  leave out "f77" in the LANGUAGES specification.    Same potential problem
  as #1.

  3. configure and build in the source tree.  We don't generally recommend
  this, but it might be suitable for your situation.

jeff

* Re: Compiling egcs-1.0 on a Sun-Sparc-Solaris-2.5
@ 1997-12-19 18:00   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1997-12-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: A. J. Rajkumar

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> I suspect you're getting this error because you're not using GNU make
> which has better VPATH support than Sun's make.

Just for your information, on sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 with Sun's
/usr/ccs/bin/make (and without GNU make)

  ./configure -prefix=/sw/swtest/egcs
  make bootstrap

works fine for me.

You might want to install GNU make or update your Solaris (If it's really
5.5 that might be a good idea anyway).

Hope this helps,
Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/